Saturday, May 21, 2022

Food, aboriginal art, and fog

Yesterday's promised tornadoes and huge hail didn't materialize here, just rain. But I think I need to cover my seedlings for shade today, because


I live in the middle of that red bit. Meanwhile overnight there was fog.



I live in that grey bit. And, this really cracked me up, in case we didn't know what fog looked like, the weather service posted this picture of it


So that made it all perfectly clear..

Yesterday when I got home in pouring rain from my knitting group, my Misfits box had arrived. No picture of it on the step on account of rain.



This morning, great timing, Krista Tippett had a guest on her podcast, a psychologist and nutritionist with the reminder that we are indeed what we eat. 

She discussed how the brain takes on nutrition before the rest of the body, needs a lot of it and can not function with a poor diet. All pretty self evident but worth revisiting. 


She's written a book on it, and it Tippett herself has a podcast on spiritual issues,  well worth tracking down, thoughtful and balanced. I used to catch her on radio years ago, lost track and now thank Chris for reminding me of her.

But eating well is not just attending to needs. It's also such a pleasure. It can be seen as a spiritual duty, too, if you're inclined to that interpretation. Me, I think it's fun.

And here's a piece of aboriginal art which speaks to me so profoundly, that I hope you take the meaning I get from it, too.


Very serious around here today! Happy day everyone, eat well, feel fine.




18 comments:

  1. Yeah, been wondering about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me the art looks like blood cells, dancing as flowers. Do you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think so, Mary. To me the meaning isn't accessible via language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've downloaded am in listening to the podcast. Making food is a large part of my life, growing it, preserving it and cooking it. Of course, eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely to have blogistas who are interested enough to follow up. Let us know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Other readers: Sandra has an interesting blog and occasionally posts pictures of dinner! Check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for a big LOL for fog
    When it began last night, I thought it was cataracts.

    Stevens' artwork is beautiful. I love fabric patterns similar to that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Food, fresh, whole (not factory processed), varied, tasty, crunchy, textures, colours....F loves food. Today she made buckwheat Tabbouleh. I, the Tigger, am unimpressed. She came back from the laiki with strawberries, cherries, green peas and peponi in amongst all the usual stuff. Treats, she called them. I just want roast chicken...xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful painting and seems open to all sort of potential interpretations. Yikes! That heat! The picture of the fog IS pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve, it's the Schuylkill Expressway this morning, so it did make bit of sense in the fellers, we're not kidding way. You'll be familiar with it.

    Other folk: it's pronounced Skookul, and it's an artery to Philadelphia, pronounced Fluffya. Whose newspaper was the Philadelphia Inquirer. Fluffya Inkwire. There, you're indoctrinated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bush flowers is a lovely painting. It's an amalgamation of all the little low flowers in the bush, done by a fine eye for surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your statement about fog was very witty: “So that made it all perfectly clear.”

    ReplyDelete
  13. The fog photo is hilarious. I would not have known it. The bush flower piece is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fog and art are both compelling and you are right about food and eating as part of spirit. too bad we are not taught that from childhood. You've got some good things in the box this week from the look of things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks a bit warm! Trenton - I'm currently reading the latest Janet Evanovich book about Stephanie Plum, set in Trenton. I feel I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks a bit warm!

    I am currently reading the latest Janet Evanovich book set in Trenton and feel I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, she sets her mysteries in Chambersburg, a clannish old section of the city, tiny houses, tiny gardens. Great food.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!