Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Walking and meeting a friend

Yesterday was still a bit chilly, despite the temperature, because of stiff winds st the shore not so far away, but I went walking, and admiring the views of new foliage against the sky


Then turned a corner of the building to a waft of perfume. The honeysuckle, officially an invasive, still smells wonderful to me, on the first day it's open


Then an old friend, often buried in leaves, showed up


And here in closeup


I've often thought of bringing her home to sit in the groundcover, since the original owners probably left long ago, and she was tossed into the woods. But I think I'll leave her here. There may be other people who like seeing her.

Then home to a lunch of mushroom omelette with a green salad including garlic scapes.


And lengthy discussions with Gary about the rethinking of his patio since the fence changed it. His patio is more like a tool shed than a garden, because of all his projects. 

While we were at it, he obligingly did my Spring task of uncovering the condensation pipe from the air conditioner, and clearing out the winter build up of debris. 

The builders installed it several inches below grade, who knows why, and I have to crawl around every spring to clear it and replace the screening and rocks I put in to keep out leaves and soil. But it's hard to work that way, so I was glad of the help. 

Since we have humid summers the condensation is an issue. Neighbors who didn't realize where the pipe was, or even that there was one, have found water backing up and crashing through the living room ceiling.

We also unearthed a large S hook I'd lost to squirrels, so that's good. I use S hooks to hang plants, and now that I can't hang anything from the fence, it may as well be inside.

This week is also about lab work of various kinds, familiar annual stuff. And this afternoon is a movie, yay. At the library not the lab, I'm glad to say.

Happy day everyone.

Fight on!




14 comments:

  1. Those darn squirrels! They'll steal ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice to leave your friend there, but giving it a home would be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did that little stone bunny (squirrel?) come from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a bunny with broken off ears. I imagine some long ago resident had it on the patio and a later one chucked it into the trees. Unlike most things the folks in this section of the development chuck airily over the fence, she's at least decorative. I'm currently waging a campaign to clean up the other debris.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, poor bunny with no ears. Why do things like that make us so sad? I suppose we anthropomorphize them in some way.
    Enjoy your movie! What a fun outing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor bunny, lost her ears. Nevertheless she's still at her post. Not long after we moved into this house the pipe from the drip pan of the AC in the attic clogged up and that's exactly what happened. The house had been vacant for at least a year, maybe longer. A few years after that we had to get a new AC unit and now it drains differently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire you fro leaving the bunny incase others enjoy her. I think I would be more selfish and take her!. Your lunch looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is nice you leave bunny there for others to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honeysuckle does have a strong smell first thing in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice walk. The bunny does look friendly and she may enjoy that location. I love the smell of honeysuckle! It takes me back to my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very cute bunny keeping watch on the path. You're stronger than I. Pretty sure bunny would be at my house by now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!