Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Feels like 100° today

That's F. So early morning was about tasks I won't fancy later. Garbage out, recycling done, outside water turned on for the season, new soaker hose in action.

Turning on the outside back yard water is always a bit nerve wracking because the shutoff is upstairs,  among the pipes also supplying the hot water tank. Which means water pipes running above the living room ceiling on their way to and through the outside wall. 

Neighbors have found an issue when water started dripping down on them in the living room. It can happen over the winter, no way to know until you know. 

Then there's turning on the outside faucet to make sure you got the right upstairs valve  Then there's a trip back upstairs to see if the valve is leaking. Current report: so far, so good.

Yesterday was the first day of this heat thing, so the skirt I made last year got to be worn.


It got a Gary seal of approval, too, to my surprise.

The recent heavy rains have triggered fungus activity. Because of old trees and plenty of rain, we have wonderful lichen and fungi.



And while I was out I encountered the shy new cat, who hides as soon as I show up. See that fuzzy dot? Near the corner of the fence? That's the nearest I've ever got to him. He's clearly a pet, well cared for, so not in need of help.


And last night, in need of escapist movie action, I found the Scarlet Pimpernel on YouTube, the Anthony Andrews one.

I highly recommend it

What fun, carriage chases, hair raising escapes, great costumes, love interest, royals, castles, garden parties, dungeons, the best sword fight I've seen in years.








All star cast, just check it out.

This morning's mother-son check in

He's a good swimmer, loves the ocean, and I'm happy to witness the ocean, no need to go mad and get in it.  

I was such a good mom, taking him the three hour round trip to the shore a lot when he was small, and he learned to love the beach. I tolerated being too hot and sandy and salty, and I'm glad I did, because he gets such fun out of it, complete with shore friends. And I'm happy I don't have to go any more! 

And here are wise words from Emmy


Then there's the long view

Happy day everyone, keep cool if that applies.




11 comments:

  1. I like the fossil ‘poetry’.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the golden color of the skirt. I have taken to wearing shift-like dresses when it is unbearably hot here - can't even stand to have anything around my waist.
    Thanks for passing on the fossil poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind the beach if I can take a long walk in the morning, stay inside in the A/C and read all day, and then take another long walk in the evening. I am happy never to swim in the ocean again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, that sounds good. I used to go to Cape May spring and fall for the bird migration, never in hot weather, when it was my choice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the skirt. I am not a beach person and I don't like being on the water, either. We had a doozy of a storm yesterday. Today it's cloudy and cool. I'll take it. I hope you upstairs pipes don't give you trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beach and the accompanying breeze on-shore, here anyway, is a great way to stay cool. I only get my feet wet though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the beach but I am not much of a fan of swimming in the ocean unless it is dead calm. I've always been this way while my mother gleefully dove into waves. She was fearless.
    Glad you found a movie to watch that made you happy and entertained. The best sort of movie, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer the beach in winter. I'm glad you and handsome son both had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great skirt.
    I grew up loving the sea and being on the beach - and I've not changed. THe children weren't so keen, but now Daughter is a big fan of sea swimming especially. It makes me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's hot for this early in the year. Hopefully it's not harbingers of what's to come!
    I'm with you as far as the beach is concerned. I can appreciate it from a distance but I can't swim and b'sides, I've seen too many aerial photos of sharks patrolling just beyond swimmers. Nope, not for me!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!