Sunday, May 15, 2022

Fast food for the week

I keep wearing my new jacket, today with the tee I embroidered with a flower for some reason, probably to cover something. I like it a lot


Anyway, with a Simon Brett mystery audiobook going in the background, I made the makings of vegetable pasties for the freezer.

Simple dough, whole wheat and white flour, hot water, olive oil, stir, knead, leave to rest 


covered with a plastic bag.

Then with my handy bench scraper, which does a lot of jobs, cut it into six equal pieces.



I like rolling dough. This kind needs a floured surface, not to avoid sticking, oil pastry doesn't, but to get traction! Otherwise it slides all over. 


Six big thin circles, more or less, will make a crisp pasty but strong enough to hold the filling.

And here they're on parchment paper, ready to fold over, so there's one per level,  to slide on a tray and freeze


Meanwhile I'd been roasting vegetables.


Onions, brussel sprouts, cauliflower greens.  (the leaves), leeks, doused with Worcestershire sauce, bit of salt, bit of Old Bay seasoning, olive oil.  Hot oven for about 30 minutes.

And here corralled onto a freezer safe container.


So I have the makings of six pasties, maybe a couple of them for Handsome Son. Possibly with hot sausage. Or chicken. Bit of ham.  We'll see. 

Two items waiting at the library now, the DVD of Howard's End, I'll let you know how it goes, and No one is Talking About This by Patricia Lockwood. She's winning all before her, so I  would like to see why. Steve, are you familiar with her?

Happy day everyone. Fight on. 

Ukraine won Eurovision! I wouldn't put it past Zelenskyy to show up,  with an apron over his fighting gear, and sweep the Great British Bake Off any time now. Ukraine's unstoppable. As I think Putin is finding.




15 comments:

  1. You've given me another cooking idea.I love the embroidered flower on the tee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zelensky could make dessert perogies on the Great British Bake-Off! Mmmmm, blueberries are my favourite kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You embroidered the little flower to cover up a stain. Very good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, another cooking idea. Sometimes the only way I will have a balanced meal is by having
    frozen food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to look up Simon Brett. Sure enough I have read some of the Fethering series — not many and some time ago, but some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm... You've reminded me I have some mushrooms in my fridge! I know what I'm fixing to eat for supper. Not pasties, though that sounds wonderful, but sauteed mushrooms and maybe some scrambled eggs. Thanks for the inspiration, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go for it, Becki! I really enjoy seeing people get ideas in here, just jumping off from what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, I love roasted veggies and wrapped in dough sounds even better! The jacket with the embroidered shirt looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We roast vegetables all the time. I use a touch of flavoured balsamic vinegar sometimes over the veg, a few teaspoons. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful stitching and food...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tigger wants the ham, or the chicken, you can keep the rest of the pasty in the freezer. Nice observation on Ukraine - we like the image.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a couple of books by Patricia Lockwood in the library, "Priestdaddy" and "No One Is Talking About This," but I've never read them. Let me know how you like that one.

    I was happy to see Ukraine victorious at Eurovision!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a good library, Steve. Someone's doing great acquisition work there. I'll report back on the Lockwood.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I've read that book or anything by Patricia Lockwood but her name does certainly sound familiar. Let us know what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!