Thursday, July 29, 2021

Easy food, tricky art

So yesterday I made a dead simple dinner, what a white gloved English lady would peer at through her lorgnette and exclaim ah yes, sossidge 'n chips!



And very good, too. Sweet Italian sausage, yellow potatoes. I took my gloves off to dine.

Earlier, lunch was true gourmet food, a salad of fresh picked tomatoes and cucumber from next door. 


I don't like cucumber much, but this was so crisp, and the tomatoes so ripe, that with a dressing of malt vinegar, Dijon mustard, seasalt, it needed only an enthusiastic luncher, which I was.

Just as well I had all this good sustenance, because the current doll art is a bit complex.

About the hair. This is purl thread, known to goldwork stitchers. It's a fine wire curled into a tight spring. You can cut it and thread for stitching down, among other things, including couching.

This particular one was too fine to thread through, also I wanted to draw it up to stick out, so you don't want threads running through it. What I did do was the patience-demanding stitching down at intervals, leaving the ends free to pull.

Here's more about purl thread




Anyway those are the conventional ways of using it. I've done those in serious goldwork. But this is not serious! 

I've done it with real gold, not to be trifled with, but here I'm working with a cheap and cheerful version from an Indian market, brought back by a friend. Thank you, Girija! 

Anyway, thrills and spills, what with her not liking the first face and demanding a makeover, and the pesky purl  thread attaching itself to itself and causing no end of language in the workshop.

Here's a pictorial account










A definite air of triumph there.  Doll 1, Boud 0.

Onward!

14 comments:

  1. She has so much personality and her hair is a big part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hair matches her expression. I'd give Boud a point as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's alive!!!!
    You've reminded me to go and see if there are any more cucumbers left on the vines to pick. We are not tired of them yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has yet to get body and limbs. I expect she'll have opinions on all that. Does that stuffing make my butt look big?

      Delete
  4. Love the hair. She’ll have lots of personality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lunch looks great. I love a cucumber and cheese sandwich. Doll #2 is already showing her attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember making hair from a Brillo pad at one point - can't remember how I did it though. Similar in texture I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. This material has a lot of tensile energy. Jumps about happily, making it very uncooperative. But the sparkle is lovely.

      Delete
  7. Oh goodness. That hair was made for that face! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can hardly wait for the next round

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I notice your doll-laden avatar there!

      Delete
  9. she look a bit annoyed in some of those photos as you get her hair attached.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!