Saturday, July 24, 2021

Saturday night at the movies and other entertainment

Today saw another load of laundry arriving from next door to dry, and I was strictly instructed not to carry it downstairs, they would collect later. Which came to pass, and to my great pleasure, the six year old granddaughter came along to help with collecting.

She ran in to show me her first tooth gone, very proud of the gap. We had a chat about whistling, her golden retriever who only pretends to sit on command, being a scientist which she wants to, and an artist,  which she also wants, and we were saying you can do both, dolls, and she examined the art doll with interest, posed for pix for Poppop with my knitted dogs and she picked up a Dolliver for a pic. Her grandfather took the pictures. I wouldn't post them anyway, to protect her. I avoid putting pix of kids on-line. But Gary was eager to get them.

Lovely visit, so happy to see her. I've  literally known her since before she was born, from her ultrasound pictures. She really lifted my day. 

This evening was a movie classic, The Importance of Being Ernest. Just a few random screenshots. The sets were wonderful, costumes, acting, just stylized enough. Well, one look at the all star cast will tell you. Captions, too.












I've always loved Joan Greenwood, subtle comedy. And fabulous looks, even into old age. Well, they were all good. 


14 comments:

  1. How wonderful to get a visit from a little one! I bet she loved your doll and other fun creations. I love old movies like that one, perfect for a Saturday night. My adult granddaughter (25) is going to spend a night with us later this week and she enjoys old movies. I'm going to get a copy of Arsenic and Old Lace for us to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that little girl thinks your house is a magical place. Which it really is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She got to go upstairs to help unload the dryer, do she had a little look around up there. Her Poppop Gary is very good about showing what's appropriate to look at in someone's house. Like not treating it like a gallery! She really liked the knitted dogs better than the people dolls.

      Delete
  3. my husband often turns to the TV to Turner Classic Movies for background noise. and yes small children are such a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that's a wonderful version of the classic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen anyone under twenty for such a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot of young kids in this street. I like very much seeing them play. Bit noisy at times, but full of life.

      Delete
  6. I do love the hats of the day - real or just hollywood version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those birds! It was a production putting hats on and taking them off. When women in novels of the period need time to take off their hats, they really do. Criss cross giant hatpins.

      Delete
  7. Catching up on posts - I think Mme. Poupee was watching over your shoulder, or you were channeling this as you worked on her wardrobe. We'll know for sure if a hat appears.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! That purple outfit is amazing and that hat defies description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the Respectable Wealthy Matron look.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!