Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Tablet support

Not the kind where someone across the planet issues unintelligible instructions to get your tablet working again.

This is the literal kind. My tablet is heavy and too big to hold without hurting, also slippery so you can't really rest it against a pillow or something or it will instantly skid away.

So I wondered about maybe a biscornu shaped pillow to rest it on. I use the tablet quite a bit to follow presentations and meetings and it would be handy not to have to hold it. 

The design of the Fire is awkward in that the very bottom left corner I need to hold is right next to the button which takes you to a kind of alexa area full of commands none of which I use. One slip and I'm in the wrong area entirely.

So  I went online and found a few ideas. Then a search for a piece of fabric, since I have almost none at home this point. I did find a scrap of upholstery fabric, and went from there.

As you see



Combination of fiberfill and split peas to add weight.




It holds the tablet and the Kindle. 

I found you don't just rest it behind that lip. You need to push it assertively into place. That works. It's a bit artisanal but it functions.

So I got it done, despite the occasional accidental shower of split peas across the floor. And I have a useful tablet support. Just in time to use for the Textiles and Tea program this afternoon.

16 comments:

  1. You are a genius, Liz.

    I am about to attempt my first ever small batch blueberry jam. Guess who inspired me! Fingers crossed...

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your small batch. It will be great. Don't bother with that putting saucers in the freezer to test doneness. I just use a large metal spoon to stir when it's near done and let it run off the side. When it runs in a couple of streams, not just one, gel has happened.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip, and the encouragement! I may have super-gelled it in an abundance of caution (will know when it cools) but it tastes fabulous! My Mike highly approves :-)

      CfB

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Design borrowed from several sources and adapted to my purpose.

      Delete
  3. Necessity has always been the mother of invention - as you have proven once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much for handheld devices. It's heavy and slippery and too big for one hand. But you need a hand free to enter commands.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant idea. The split peas too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! I've even seen some patterns for similar tablet holders online. I agree, they do become difficult to hold for any length of time. I love your design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea. I've sometimes used a medium sized plate holder stand--the kind that fold up when not in use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. clever. a bean bag chair for your tablet. I bought a cover for my tablet that folds into a stand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My old tablet I did that for, and now my son has it. The cover/stand for the, bigger, fire tablet is ridiculously expensive.

      Delete
  8. Necessity is the mother of invention! How great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty tablet pillow! Or bean bag chair as ellen put it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! I just bought a lap desk - holds my kindle at a comfortable angle and anything else, including books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!