Friday, July 30, 2021

Misfits box and Friday salad, fence saga

Did I mention we had a massive storm last night, tornado warnings, very local, massive rainfall, most roads closed around here with water everywhere and trees down, local police rescuing stuck cars. 

It was pretty hair raising for a couple of hours. We do occasionally get tornadoes, one tore the side of a neighbor's brick house off, a few years ago, but we don't get them often enough to be experienced. 

So I was surprised when the Misfits box showed up early. I thought the road closings would hold them up but nooo. 

So here we are



Taking full advantage of the summer fruit season.Couple of hiccups. My flour wasn't packed but a mysterious bag of sugar was.

Misfits refunded the missing flour in about an hour from my email explaining. They're very good at this, cheerful, fast, and it's not anything big, after all. 

I came out with a windfall of sugar, and I can manage for now without the flour. I'm more pleased over the number of things they get right, really, than the occasional mia item  which I told them.


And here's my Friday evening salad, tomato from next door, Misfits romaine lettuce, celery, same dressing as yesterday, with capers.

And an email about the saga of the fencing. A second site manager left in a rush last week, and now the regional manager is running things. So far Fence 2, site mgt 0.

Email Friday afternoon, to say fence work starts Monday. Lot of notice, no? Complete with demands for stuff to be done or else. At this point all the foliage and shrubs I cut back at great labor have all grown up again and it's all to do again, sigh.

So I decided to do a bit a day, it being heavy hot work I'm not quite up to. And I actually managed to pull and cut one section of pachysandra and foliage from one section of fence.

Then I bumped into Gary returning a spade to my storage place where I keep the neighborhood gardening tools. They're mine but anyone can borrow, and frequently do.

He didn't know about the fence update, but when I explained, well, whined,  said nah I'm going to take care of that foliage, free next week. Asked if he has a weedwacker, he remembered he does, somewhere. So that will simplify matters a lot. And I feel a lot less stressed.  We'll get this. 

It might actually be fun weed whacking the overgrown pachysandra. He's worried about killing it, and I assured him it will be be encouraged, not  wiped out.

Always something. If it's not the weather it's the HOA, which acts like a force of nature at times.

15 comments:

  1. there were threats of tornadoes here in NH too but all we got was heavy rain. At least the brooks have begun to flow again, it's been a dry 12 months...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some areas desperately needed rain. We didn't exactly!

      Delete
  2. That wicked bit of weather worked its way down from WI and went east. A lot of noise and lightening but no one hurt, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it wasn't worse. It was quite exciting enough for this audience.

      Delete
  3. Glad you were okay with the storm...some pretty scary stuff happening this year it seems. And regarding the fence issue, it sounds as though there's a lot of that sort of thing going around. Yesterday we were told that our hydro would be shut off all day. Of course it didn't happen, no explanation and no word on when it might. They'll probably do their usual and spring it on us when we least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the hydro? Water? Power?

      Delete
    2. Well, I just added another notch to my education. Here I thought everybody called the power 'hydro' and evidently it's not so. Who knew?! Yes, it was the power/hydro that was supposed to be off but ended up not being. No further word on the reason why - or when - it might happen.

      Delete
    3. Do you think it's Canadian, from getting electricity generated by hydro methods at Niagara? That's all I can think of. Anyway thanks for dissipating my fog!

      Delete
  4. I've grown up with tornados, living in the tornado belt most of my life. I'm glad you don't get them too often. They can definitely be frightening. Your misfits always look so good. I don't see anything misfit about them at all, in fact they often look better that what my grocery store carries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are lucky not to get them more often. The noise alone is terrifying.

      I agree about the Misfits. Usually it's about size. Nonstandard small or big apples, that kind of thing. The romaine lettuce are small but very fresh and crisp.And they rarely make a mistake. I don't think I've ever received an inedible item. A lot depends on the quality of local FedEx delivery.ours is pretty good so there aren't holdups or missing boxes. Some regions vare not as good.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy .your Misfits updates and the news of the neighbours. Great bunch you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never weed-wacked an inch but it does look like fun if one only has to do it for about five minutes. I can't imagine doing anything outside right now. It's just way too hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chief weed whacker will be Gary. I'll be permitted to observe. Once he takes a job the most I get to do is hand over tools like an or nurse and a surgeon!

      Delete
  7. I have never lived anywhere that has an HOA and that's by design. I don't want to be told what color paint I can use, what plants I can have, what structures in my yard I can or can't have, etc. I'm confused by the fence project though. this is a fence between property lines? why is that the responsibility of the HOA and not whichever property owner put it up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody tells us what to plant or where. Patio is part of the personal ownership, like the interior. The fences are a continuing structure running round every patio throughout the development. Exterior, meaning communally owned. And the board is in charge of exterior projects.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!