Saturday, July 17, 2021

Doll update

She's got a face. This was really interesting, a first try in soft sculpting features. Not bad for now. I'll be embroidering the features, once I decide on eye color.

A facial expression emerged. 

Then I tried a couple of ideas to see what she liked


This is a handful of silk embroidery thread which got tangled, and a scarf made of a piece of my card weaving


Here's a bunch of silk squares I stitched together a while back, with cotton roving hair


Here the hat is a print I made on silk gauze from a painting I scanned,  and the dress is s piece of Indian organdy. This one reminds me eerily of the old English queen mother, must be the hat.

These are just little drapings, like sketches, to see what's next. It's fun to bring out old samples of work to test on her.  I'm thinking a big skirt, full and stiffened, with layers. Not transparent like here. 

She looks patient and long-suffering to me. A wry smile. See how soon character starts to show. Her eyes are not closed. I will embroider the features and she'll be clearer.

I'm not one of those dollmakers who decide on the character then make it. Mine's more of a cooperative approach with the materials. Until the doll starts dictating them, that is.


15 comments:

  1. The Queen Mother comparison was apt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks good in that hat! And she DOES look like the Queen Mum, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does happen. They channel people you didn't have in mind at all!

      Delete
  3. Reminds me of royal hats...

    ReplyDelete
  4. She seems to be in deep thought. Maybe she is trying to decide how to guide you in bringing her out. I do understand what you have said and I agree. She will be who she is meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a point at which the maker is following instructions rather than directing the process. Nearly there with this one.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant how the doll is evolving. Can’t wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's definitely looking like a grandmother sort - a grandmother that's round and fluffy and makes cookies for her grandkids. Queen Mum, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do tend to portray yourself in dollmaking, as in life drawing. so I'm not too surprised she's emerging as an older woman. That may change once I embroider the eyes and mouth.

      Delete
  7. How do you sculpt the face in the first place? Looks like her features magically appeared.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You insert a threaded needle from the back of the head, taking a stitch here and there at strategic points and gently pull to draw in the fabric.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It's interesting to see her change with each new addition.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!