Thursday, July 8, 2021

Bored and lonely and what comes of it

The weather has kept everyone indoors if they have cool, very brief encounters with neighbors, haven't seen friends for so long anyway except on Zoom. Living alone and petless, it weighs on a person. 

No pets because I can't afford the medical bills. If I could find a cat with a trust fund I'd take them in a hot minute. 

Meanwhile what comes of boredom, especially when it's too hot, even early, to walk, is a stirring of new ideas.

Last night I thought maybe I'd consider supported spinning. This is a spindle spinning form where the tip rests in a bowl and it's different from drop spindling.

The idea came from this lady, a pioneer in handspinning cotton, hemp and those more "difficult" fibers. 

She then weaves her clothes from the fiber she's spun, some from plants she's grown. She also loves dyeing. A kindred spirit to many of us.

Ages ago I was given a bunch of cotton roving, organic, undyed, by an experienced spinner who had tried and failed to get anywhere with it, having been given it in her turn by another good spinner with similar dismal results. 

And this week, on the HGA presentation of Textiles and Tea, Joan explained it in about two minutes! 

The ratio on a wheel used for wool and other animal fibers, is no good for the very short staple of cotton. I know not of wheels and ratios, but next the question came up of drop spindling cotton. She explained it's impossible. 

Staple length (fiber length) way too short, an inch or two, compared to the several inches of animal fiber. So the fiber can't support the weight of even a light drop spindle. She said you have to use a supported spindle. Ah.

You can catch the recording if you Google HGA  and go from there. Not a lot to see, but much wisdom and generosity to share. She loves to teach and has a full schedule still, in her 80s.

So last night I was thinking about supported spindles and one thing led to another. I tried a few experiments with what I've got.

This is one of my spindles in top whorl position, my usual.
Then here it is on bottom whorl position, see the little channel at the top to keep the fiber from skidding off.

Trying the movements for supported spindling

And here's the modular one


Comes apart like this


So I tried it.

And it worked. I got twist, wobbly but working. There's nothing to stop the fiber skidding off, which is also true of real supported spindles, and which I found unnerving. 

But it still worked once I got the moving parts and angles organized. My finger is only to hold it for the pic, not part of the technique.


So here's the battlefield I mean experiment area.

The marble eggcup is a nice bowl for the tip of the spindle. I wondered if I could just try the principle by using my lightest spindle low whorl style.

I could not get any twist at all, just unspun roving coming off. So after a few goes, concluded that I couldn't achieve a fast enough spin with this idea. You're supposed to be spinning on a tip, not a screw. But I learned a bit about holding the spindle anyway 

On to the next step. I remembered my modular spindle, where the whorl slides on and off the shaft. Tried that, and found that I got a much better spin, even achieved twist, yay.

But it's still only improv and I need to do better. I priced some beautiful supported spindles, which are not exactly my range, and I still wanted to build rather than buy.



Lady doing bottom whorl drop spindling. It has some things in common with supported spindling. Both have the whorl low down. Otherwise a bit different.

Then on YouTube of course, I studied several terrific spinners including my favorite Spinning Sarah, who said she was working with a spindle stick and whorl.

Soooooo, I have the whorl, so I went and ordered two spindle sticks on Etsy, direct from the maker, and with any luck I'll be able to get more serious about this when they arrive. And the total for two sticks, the shafts for my future spindles, is less than a single supported spindle. Some of them are artworks in themselves, but right now I would like effectiveness. There's an elegance to that itself.

Quite a busy time after all. 

But not exactly meditative. This video is lovely, but it's more aspirational than realistic for a beginner. 

It's like people saying knitting is so relaxing, you should take it up. While glossing over the high anxiety of the learner, trying to keep the same number of stitches, and omg a big hole..

Anyway, enough reading about what I'm doing.  Time for you to bustle around and help me identify this plant which I got years ago from a neighbor. 

I don't like the color, but the goldfinches, our state bird, love the seeds. So I keep it as a kind of civic duty. Anyway, what is it? Your wisdom, as always, appreciated.

Off to have tea and a lemon bar now.



15 comments:

  1. My plant app says it's an orange coneflower.
    Good luck with the spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it is a coneflower.

    I’ve never seen spinning done that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and Mary are right. I looked up pictures for comparison and they look right. Mine's a dark yellow rather than orange, but they evidently have a range of color. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Cat with a trust fund! Pets are expensive. When I was a kid, let the cat out, feed, water, pet, let the cat in, let the cat out. And vets didn't charge the same as human doctors did for humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are. My neighbor whose dog died last week had been paying $1,000 that is not a typo, for biannual heart treatments. On top of the vet bills. He didn't feel he had a choice. Vets lean on owners to do everything possible. It can be very difficult to deal with.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, a cat with a trust fund would be sweeeeeeet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A cat with a trust fund - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One way to take the weight of the whorl is, with a top whorl spindle, to run the spindle shaft up/down your thigh. That way you can get up a tremendous speed which is ideal for all short fibres. That is how I spin cotton on my over one ounce drop spindles. Otherwise I use European lace spindles. They are not drop spindles but supported spindles and use a bowl. If you can pick up an antique (this used to be easy), there are some delightful painted and hand carved spindles on offer around the place, but make sure they have a very fine tip. Some of the new ones don't, unfortunately.
    Have fun! Its dead simple once it clicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This advice is terrific. I'll try it.

      Delete
  7. the flower looks like black eyed susan (rudbekia) to me.

    I'm glad some people are keeping the old arts alive. the rate this world is going, we're going to need them again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't thought of spinning as a civic duty, but that's something to consider, yes. Rudbeckia is the family of the orange cone flower, aka black eyed Susan, aka brown eyed likewise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honestly - nothing about the spinning sounds relaxing or meditative. The Demon Duo and I have a deal - they are house cats with no trips outside or (so far) to the vet and I give them lots of attention!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spinning is out of my wheelhouse, mainly because I don't need another thing to vie for my time. Admire you though for all the different methods you tackle! Smiled when I read the cat with a trust fund bit. I miss having a kitty around but don't miss the allergies that come along with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spinning is easier without the assistance of cats. Batting at the moving spindle is a real challenge.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!