Thursday, July 15, 2021

Soft sculpture, art doll style

For years I've been thinking about trying soft sculpture, maybe lifesize figures, using my own clothes, sculpting the faces by stitching. Then not wanting to have slightly unnerving large sculptures around. I've done miniaturized soft sculpture in the form of trapunto stitching, even literally miniaturizing kits for my miniature club long ago.

But I came around recently to thinking art dolls, maybe for exhibit, if and when that happens. Meanwhile it's an interesting artform to explore with the sculpting being done on the faces. It does squick me out a  bit, thinking about putting a needle into a face.  But I think I'll do it.

If you haven't made dolls you might not know how soon and how eerily they take on a personality. Even stitching the Dollivers faces felt intrusive.  And how often you reproduce your own facial expressions and physical build.

Anyway here's what I came across. Patti Medaris Culea. She was an exhibiting artist and portrait painter before moving into art dolls.


The thing I am liking about this current adventure is that I can use a lot of skills from other artforms, drawing, painting, spinning, embroidery, beading, knitting, dressmaking you name it. It's a journey of imagination.

One thing I don't plan on unlike a number of these artists, is using hot glue. I'll stitch.

As I read this book which shows other doll artists' work, I was reminded of what one of my sisters said when she got into miniature making, my fault, that it paid to have a lot of arts and crafts experience, and leftover materials available. Otherwise you'd spend a fortune getting started.

It also occurred to me that the bag of scrap fabrics still waiting in the car, too hot to go to the thriftie, might be pressed into service again..a Failed Winnowing.

Before i get us to now, here are some dolls and animals I've made, mostly knitted. I have a history, as they say of recidivists.

And here's the Dolliver luggage. 






Christmas dresses, felt and lace

Suffragists outfits.

Many permanent items, as well as scraps of exotic stuff for temporary clothes for photo shoots. A couple of the long skirts might work for the new, I hope series, depending on how it works.

We return to the drawer of embroidery things, silk and linen scraps, beads, butterflies. 

And I did retain a little supply of vital dollmaking materials through the breakdown of the studio. Including doll needles. 


Anyway here's what I'm trying. The raw base materials: trouser socks, white, tan, black, choices. Had them for years. I started with the white for easy visibility until I find out what I'm doing.

My idea is to create a doll from one sock, with moveable arms and legs, without cutting parts separately and attaching them. So this entailed little drawings and outloud discussions with myself as I went. Since the fabric is knitted, no fraying concerns. 

The doll book reminded me of teaching the proportions of the face, to disbelieving students who even after measuring, found them hard to accept! Almost impossible, too,  to realize what a small amount of the human head is occupied by facial features.

Handy grid, courtesy of doll book

And here's more or less what's happening.


The seam starts a ready made nose




See how soon she's sitting up and taking notice? Soon there will be opinions. And she doesn't even have legs yet.

24 comments:

  1. Fantastic idea, I think you'll make beautiful dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope you're right! It will be fun trying.

      Delete
  2. I've always loved the soft sculpture art dolls and frequently admired them at quilt shows. I've made dolls and stuffed animals for my grandchildren but often thought I'd like to make art dolls. All that I've seen have such personality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I have a history, as they say of recidivists" -- oh, this line gave me a good laugh! Looking forward to seeing your new doll and whatever his/her personality turns out to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing ever lost on you, Debra! It's great. I have a feeling this doll's personality will be ahead of me at every step.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! It will be fun to watch this adventure unfurl, and see where your imagination takes you. Looking forward to watching over your shoulder.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  5. There occasionally was a doll maker at shows where I exhibited. Her doll faces were from hosiery and the features were grotesque. I'll be very interested to see your faces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. there are some pretty fabulous art dolls out there. fun to look at but not something I've ever been interested in trying. it will be fun to see yours develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New to me too. We'll see if and how it develops!

      Delete
  7. This is so exciting! I love the idea of being able to use all of those techniques and skills in a project of such love.
    We were in a little shop here and I found a tiny kit to make two very small dolls. I bought it, thinking that if I made the dolls, perhaps it will open my mind to technique and purpose. The only dolls I've ever made are monkey sock dolls but I sure have enjoyed doing those.
    Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we get to see your completed dolls. And thank you for the encouragement!

      Delete
  8. I've made a few dolls in my life time. Some from kits and some made-up as I went. It's an interesting thing to do and yes I agree, sometimes they take on a personality of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have all of Patty's books. I'm a big fan. I started making cloth dolls about 10 years ago. And, it's very true. They do take on personalities of their own :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder if you've blogged about them? I'd really like to see.

      Delete
    2. Yes I did but I closed down that blog. I reopened a new one but I haven't posted very much. https://tatesdolls.blogspot.com/ However there are some links on there that might be helpful. I also have a Facebook page called Cloth Doll Maker's Diary. Also there are pics of all the dolls I've made on My Tate Gallery.... http://mytategallery.blogspot.com/p/dolls-ive-made.html

      Delete
    3. Thank you. I can follow up.

      Delete
  10. Dolls tend to demand to have their own personality and I'm sure you already know that there's absolutely no point in trying to ignore their wishes. I believe Patti Culea has written several art doll books - gave a look at your library because they might have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's written quite a few and they have none of them. But all I wanted was tips on face sculpting which I got, very useful.

      Delete
  11. I can hardly wait to see where this goes. It looks fascinating, even at this stage

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!