Thursday, July 1, 2021

Cooler weather and needing to make something

Today is blessedly cooler. Out grocery shopping, then home and reading a Bess Crawford and sleeping to catch up with last night's broken sleep and general upset.

And making has resumed. Partly the weather, partly needing to stitch away the upset about poor little Bennie.

Anyway thanks to various suggestions in here about the granny squares, particularly Mary Anne's pocket idea, partly because I'm out of little note books for lists and backup for appointments, since paper don't crash, I thought aha! Why not make four squares into a little book cover for a notebook with refillable pages? Two pockets joined up, card stock inserted to stiffen. Well, self replied, why not?

There followed a brisk search for cardstock, check, paper, check, paper-cutter, check, needle, check, embroidery floss, check.

And I had a very enjoyable time stitching and cutting, happily using my propelling pencil for the measuring marks, fine lead.

Here's the upshot


The cardstock is a stiffening to slide into the pockets.


Squares back to back, wrong sides together


Here's how it fits together



And because I need to remove pages, and refill  them, I didn't stitch the pages, but tied them this way

And here's my new notebook


Front cover


Inside left


Inside right


Back cover

Better all around. 




14 comments:

  1. White Rabbits! Late breaking bunnies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to use the granny squares!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for covers.

    The weather has turned cold and wet here. Wish we could share it with the west coast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cool! I'll have to try making one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope some readers will try it. It's satisfying and useful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was fun to make, and pleases my frugal heart, using up little handworks. It's also nice to have an artwork fir a notebook, why not, abd honor my Cross pen set.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew you'd come up with a good solution! Little notebooks never come amiss.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!