Friday, July 30, 2021

In nets of golden wyres

As I worked on the doll hair yesterday I got an earworm phrase. This is often how art titles come, and whole art concepts with them.

The phrase was "in nets of golden wyres", a canzonet duet by Elizabethan composer, musician, Thomas Morley, a great favorite when I played recorder. There's a series of these canzonets, which just means little songs. Likewise Michael East trios, another favorite song series to play..

As you notice, I haven't named the dolls as if they were people. That's because I mean them as art statements, in a series. But I was still waiting for them to tell me their statements, and to get the idea of the series.

And here they are, after I rummaged through my sheet music



You see the idea of the current doll there, the golden wires meaning her curly hair, which the narrator fell for, it's a love song.

And White as Lillies is the East phrase for the first doll. This doesn't mean I'll search for titles then make a doll that fits, but rather I'll make the doll then the phrase will come. Leap and the net will appear. My lifelong approach, hasn't failed me yet. 

If this thinking is all Greek to you, don't worry, just let it flow over you! I wonder what a Greek would say? If this is all English to you etc?

Meanwhile, back in the workshop, here's the narrative


Cotton roving, which I hope to learn to spin with my supported spindle, now waiting in the wings. It's soft as swansdown, lovely to handle, and I have plenty, so I can use it here to stuff Wyres.






Meanwhile, she has a body, downtime before I make limbs for her, and food is happening. 

Misfits box arrives later today, and I'm using the last of the sweet potatoes. 


Note the recycled bag marked stock. And the little heap of trimmings. I'm going to make vegetable stock from the trimmings from now on for a while. 

The trimmings I've been chucking out back have turned into fertile soil already, hence the sudden appearance of the squash plant, or melon, whichever, and the enormous growth of what was a tiny blackberry plant from out front.

So I will also do this:

Save up trimmings in the freezer, create stock eventually, toss the strained residue out back. Thank you, Leigh, blogger of 5 Acres & a Dream, for reminding me of this possibility.  Still nothing wasted. 

Go read her blog, it's lovely. You don't have to be a smallholder with crops and animals, living self sufficiently, eating what you grow, to enjoy her narrating the life of a couple who do all that.

And today's lunch is roasted sweet potatoes, in olive oil, Old Bay, currently my go-to, seasalt, and a chicken thigh, buttered and rolled in panko. 

I didn't pound this one thin, just left it rolled.

Next,  to empty the sink ready to wash fruit and veggies when the box arrives, and sort out strainers and colanders and cloths for inevitable water splashes.

It's all go!




14 comments:

  1. Golden wyres - perfect!

    Chris from Boise, who is at this moment adding potato water to her vegetable broth scraps. Waste not want not :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the anticipation on several fronts! Not only to see what happens with Wyres but also what will arrive in the Misfits box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. waste not, want no. one of my guiding mantras. though I admit I don't make stock out of trimmings. they go in the compost pile but I got 16 butternut squashes out of the plants that grew from the seeds that got tossed in so those trimmings did get put to good use.

    dolls as songs, songs as dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your new doll looks startlingly like my birthmother...and those misfit boxes are a treasure

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I play the recorder too (badly)! I don't practice nearly enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to joke when we hadn't met to play for a while which end do I blow? Which voice is this?

      Delete
  6. A cheerful, productive day! How I love your lady's dimples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am amazed that Wyre's hair closely resembles mine every morning, though mine is gray and not gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! She's striking a few chords, it seems.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the shout out! I'm always delighted when I share something that is useful to others. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!