Monday, July 26, 2021

Nature notes

 Yesterday I was called on by the 6 year old next door and her Poppop to minister to an injured butterfly. Big pieces missing from its wings as a result of an unfortunate attempt to usher him out of the car. Cabbage white. The butterfly. The car's a black Honda.

I suggested she lay him on  the grass quietly, to rest. I suspected the rest would be permanent, but they just wanted to do something, you know how it is. 

Indoors more promising signs. When I finally got around to separating the aloe plant after months of postponement largely because it was so misshapen, I had partial success.

This part has done very well in the kitchen


And this I pretty much gave up on after trying to replant it. I watered but left it to figure out its own future. Which to my surprise,  it has.

See the sturdy new shoots, growing well despite their origins. I can cut and discard the original gnarly bits. Very good outcome. I often think plants do very well despite us rather than because of our ministrations.

And did you know frozen blueberries (also seedless grapes if you like grapes) work just like candy with your breakfast pancakes? Just sayin.


Remember Cesar Chavez and his long fight for the vineyard workers against the abuses of big ag in the form of the growers? I joined in the boycott. 

It took so long before he and the farmworkers got recognition and improvements in working conditions that by the time the boycott ended, and I'd become educated about the lives of the pickers, I'd lost my taste for grapes.  

Handsome Partner loved them and they were one of the foods he could navigate after he lost a lot of use of his hands, so I would buy them for him. Afternoon snack for him with medication was grapes and cheese. 

See you never know what tangent I might fly off at in here. Me neither.



10 comments:

  1. As I have grown older, I have lost my taste for grapes. There is a bitterness to them now, at least for me. I wonder what that is.
    I find that the less I mess with my plants, the happier they seem to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you were very kind about the butterfly, and your plants look healthy and happy and yes, blueberries are among my favorite fruits and good in muffins, smoothies, yogurts, in goat cheese etc. I still love grapes. My mother froze them for treats on especially hot days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frozen grapes are summer lifesavers out here. As are frozen peas - easy afternoon snacks. I'll have to try blueberries.

    I spent the morning helping a friend pot up sedum cuttings - very similar to your aloe. Very satisfying.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to also acknowledge your compassion at helping the grieving pair do Something for their injured butterfly. Your small neighbor must have felt very badly about the accident; letting it rest was the best (only) first aid to offer. Good on 'ya, as my northern friends say.

      CfB

      Delete
  4. I have grown to enjoy your tangents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my youngest grandgirl, when she was young and coming out for her week in the summer loved frozen blueberries. she would go through two big bags in a week. I stopped buying grapes too. I buy them now now and then in the summer. plus the turtle like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turtles and tortoises love grapes. Also green peas. I think they're a great size for them to navigate.

      Delete
  6. Blueberries are good, fresh OR frozen. Must say I'm rather envious of your ability to grow aloes. Mine last for a little while and then turn up their toes (roots?) and wither up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect mine know they're working plants. I pinch a bit off almost every day for cooking related burns and scorches.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!