Saturday, July 3, 2021

The Law of Concatenation has struck

 After the prepping of the Misfits produce, minus the ginger which they forgot to pack, and will credit me for, though I'd rather have the ginger,  where was I? 

Anyway, at that point I noticed the spices which take up most of the small cabinet space of this not very well designed kitchen, were in total disarray.

I use them a lot, so they get knocked down, shoved around and generally disrespected.

So today, the weather being rainy, seemed like a good idea finally to Do Something. 

Three cabinets, the only ones away from the stove and the window, better for spices, were stuffed with containers of all sorts and materials which defeated my original idea of alphabetizing them. I'm against buying containers on purpose except for the few I have for jam. 

So I sort of have them organized by function. All the baking related ones together, more or less, the others by family, all the salts, all the peppers, that sort of thing. 

But it's ages since I took everything out and cleaned the shelves, and generally Kept It Up.






Top pic is the easiest one, cleaned up, then the middle one, horrible shape, too deep to reach in, goes to a point in the corner, things fall off the lazy Susan and you have to get a stepladder to retrieve them. 

Then the smallest which ended up with the most stuff, don't ask me, I only live here. That one also yielded all the items on the tray, needing emptying, cleaning, reassigning.

As I sorted and wiped and spilled and swept, I wondered why I had so much of some items. Cardamom seeds? Masses of cinnamon? Coriander?

Then is when the concatenation struck. It's a fancy word for one damn thing after a damn nother. Because a couple of the containers were empty. No home mixed curry powder. No baharat.

Clearly the next thing, once I'd dealt with the extraneous objects such as bags of coins needing wrappers if they still exist, totally outdated spices needing to be tossed to reuse the glass jars, the next thing is to get grinding.

Needing to retrieve the recipes, baharat in Jerusalem, curry powder in Bill Veach.


And that's when I realized it's why I have all those spices. 

Here's the set-up for the curry powder.


I rest my case.

I also rest my arms. 

While these are soaking, I'm off to enjoy Bad Food.


No grinding, mixing, working. Just chomping. Happy Fourth Eve.

13 comments:

  1. What a productive day!
    Now I want hot dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictures of food are powerful. Toasted buns with Dijon mustard, mm

      Delete
  2. My spices seem to end up in different places other than where they belong. I wonder if they walk around during the night? ;>) Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if you're eating bad food, eat a lot. Some chip dip is missing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your humor as you sorted and cleaned the spice cabinets. I keep mine in a deep drawer (labeled on the tops of the containers). It's a great idea until they start sliding around and getting mixed up. But it's what I've got and I'm not changing it now. You do make me want to sort out some cabinets now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On occasion, bad food is a nice break from all that healthy stuff.

    My spice cupboard needs a tidy too. Not today though…the story of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That not today has been me for a couple of years. So I seized the moment when it finally arrived.

      Delete
  6. I think Spices multiply behind our back when we're not looking. Sort of like coat hangers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a lot of spices too. The main storage is a bunch of matching small containers that fit perfectly in the kitchen drawer all labeled and, wonder of wonders, kept surprisingly in alphabetical order. We won't mention the overflow that takes up shelf space in two other cupboards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I buy Indian spices, they come in all sorts of packaging including foil packets, so it's tricky organizing them.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!