Sunday, July 4, 2021

Quiet day for the Fourth

 Today was about gardening until I got too tired, clearing dead foliage, generally cleaning up and returning the debris to the earth among the trees where it's good for the ground. It does look much better.


Lavender's fading now but will bloom again at least once. Last year three periods of bloom. And the daisies are coming along.


The thyme is blossoming now, lovely tiny flowers

 
Stella d'Oro daylilies in full swing. They're all over this development, from my stealth gardening, planting them around the dumpster areas, and giving divisions to neighbors. 

There's a healthy stand of them, and pachysandra, in the median strip of a highway in Trenton, from bags of divisions  which I gave a teacher working on the environment with her high schoolers. That was a very happy Freecycle a few years ago.




Here are the beginnings of the white chrysanthemums, just budding up, and next door is packed with bloom, some from seeds I'd collected on the sidewalk down the street, and gave him because I had no space!



After this strenuous time, not as energetic these days,  l retreated to rest (!) by making pasties from scratch. Yes, funny way to rest, I know.


Ready to steam spinach, microwave yellow potatoes, saute mushrooms and scallions and grate parmesan, for stuffing pasties using a different dough.


Bolted whole wheat and regular wholewheat
olive oil, hot water, not milk.


Stuffing under way, then mixed with an egg, the cheese, pinch of baharat, and spiced ground salt. Of course!


The dough was drier than with milk, easy to roll and manage and fill

And here's lunch,  decorated with Thai basil, which is now growing fast out there, and some Bad Food chips there.  

I think next time for the dough I'll do half water half milk, because it was just a bit sort of floury, though good. Adding milk with water will give a nice texture to work and to eat. At least that's the plan. Enough stuffing for  about six pasties in all.  

Glass of sun tea, with lemon slice.

This is pretty labor intensive foodbst the outset, but it's so good and it makes a lot. Then for several days meais are pretty fast. Dough's ready in the freezer, filling's in the fridge. Just bake.

While I'm getting all up there about my kitchen prowess, such as it is, I should show you a couple of tools.

Here's my coffee maker. Very technically advanced

Piece of ancient linen, ancient filter. I simmer coffee grounds in milk and water, just bring to a boil, then pass once through the strainer lined with the linen, into the cup. Done. Excellent coffee. Strong not bitter, snarling with caffeine as I like it. 

And my grinder cost me $10 about forty years ago literally. 

And already, already, the blades have lost their end bits, from dealing with tough chickpeas, and the lid has seen better days. But the motor still runs fine.  Two speeds -- off, or running like it's trying to get away, hold on there.

And there's a fun preschool activity yet to do, matching the lids and containers from yesterday's spiceapalooza.


I'll save that for tomorrow. Can't handle any more excitement today.

16 comments:

  1. I hope you had a nice Independence Day. We grilled burgers and I made potato salad. That was our day's excitement. Your garden is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good day. A few bangs tonight from distant fireworks.

      Delete
  2. The garden is beautiful. A lovely retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's what passersby in the street see. I like to share with the neighbors.

      Delete
  3. I washed out two empty spice bottles yesterday with plans to use them as rooting vessels.
    Your coffee maker looks quite adequate to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a good idea about the little bottles. Noted.
      I live in the land of fancy coffee making kit! One time a cleaning lady threw away my linen filter, said she thought it was a dirty old rag! That one was handwoven, sigh.

      Delete
  4. Lovely yard with all the blooming things. Wish I could grow thyme like that - in the ground, outside. Doesn't like our heat and humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of my herbs are more temperate climate. The thyme is rioting.

      Delete
  5. Your garden is lovely. I can only last about 20 minutes out there at a time and then in the morning. hot humid mosquitoes while I go for weeds. been pulling up large amounts of tall orange cosmos because they are greedy bastards and take over. I've been thinking about making pasties again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks great! So colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard for me to believe the year is far enough along that some flowers are fading already. I should have some daylilies along the back of my house, but I haven't even checked them out yet this year. And I don't even care. I'd much rather enjoy other's gardens online and not worry over my own neglected perennials this year. Your yard, on the other hand, is looking just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lavender has a rush of blossom in late May, then a few weeks later it fades, and is replaced by another flush soon. Last year it blossomed three times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All my little bottles are beginning to collect next year's gardening seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are in brown paper bags. Same principle though.

      Delete
  10. For a small green space you certainly have managed to pack in a lot of wonderful plants. Sometimes I miss our garden and the flowers but then I remember the work and the feeling passes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when you have landscapers for the grass, and sprinklers working every morning in summer, it's easier. Most of my plants are easy perennials. The main work is pulling dead foliage. No weeds, ground cover sees to that.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!