Sunday, July 4, 2021

Happy Fourth, with cherries

Breakfast in bed, with cherries, which seem like patriotic food to me, probably the Washington connection. And a Charles Todd Inspector Rutledge mystery, not Bess Crawford this time.

Note the stainless steel cup, hot tea from the thermos. This is great.

Quiet day, handsome Son working full day as usual in Sunday and most holidays and this is both. But in summer he's off to the shore every chance he gets, so I may see him less anyway.

Yesterday I was so industrious that I made the curry powder and the baharat. Grinding that many spices is in fact quite buzzy. Definite high happens, a happy one, no crash.

So here's what transpired.


Getting the seeds out of cardamom pods, wonderful smell. After a bit I decided just to grind the whole pods anyway.


Here's the mixture ready to grind. Everywhere the recipe says ounce I used two teaspoons, just to keep the proportions right. Half ounce = one teaspoon etc.


Then after grinding, I winnowed a bit, then reground what was left in the sieve, a tip from Bill Veach which I'd never noticed before.


And came out to this beautiful powder.

On to the baharat, much simpler recipe




Very different from the curry powder, warm scent and taste, great for all kinds of food.

And somewhere I found a tip for cleaning the grinder. The top comes off and can be washed, but all you can do with the grinding chamber is wipe it out. Hard to remove traces of previous spices. Anyway the tip was to grind some salt, then empty and wipe.

Which I did, using kosher salt, which is a great scouring material, safe and it works, and that was a good tip. But there's more..


I realized that I now had a supply of ground salt with spice flavoring. I tasted, and the saltiness was amazingly amped up, along with spice flavor. So, frugal me, I bottled and labeled it, and it's joined the salt collection. Tiny pinch is all it takes. Happy discovery.

And, since I didn't waste, I mean spend, all my time in the kitchen, I also discovered a very funny writer, D.G.Strong, humor pieces, right up my street. 


So that's another holiday, my whole life is holiday, chez Boud.




14 comments:

  1. What a spicy post! Good tip on how to clean a spice grinder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About time I found out, been grinding for years.

      Delete
  2. I have a grinder somewhere...
    You are inspiring me to find it.
    I am reading an author I think you might like. Perhaps you are already aware of her. Diane Setterfield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That name's new to me. Thank you, I'll check it out. Was it the reference to the spice buzz that piqued your interest huh? huh? It's pretty cool.

      Delete
    2. No. In listening to two of Ms. Setterfield's books I just honestly thought of you and that you might really enjoy them.

      Delete
    3. So good to be in someone else's mind like that. Only teasing about the buzz, by the way.

      Delete
  3. Wow...great tip about the grinder. I have not found one I can use without an extension cord, pain in the butt for me...glad you are enjoying the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cords they come with are so short. I don't think it would hurt to attach longer cords during the mfr. process. If I come across one with a longer cord, I'll let you know.

      Delete
  4. I bet that all smells very good. I took and Indian cooking course many years ago and learned how to make spice mixtures but I definitely need to renew my spices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my spices came from Indian friends, like the citrusy amchur, mango powder. My supply will last years since it's so powerful you use a tiny pinch.

      Delete
  5. I like curry but never thought of making my own powder. I'll have a go next time I am in a cookery mood. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much better and more fun to make your own mixes. I hope you do.

      Delete
  6. Resident Chef makes a number of spice mixes but not these two (yet!). Great tip about using salt to clean the grinder which I'll be sure to pass along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can also use rice, but I didn't have any.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!