Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Down from the heights of Evee Erb

Chop wood, carry water, roast vegetables, admire diamonds, neighborhood exchange program.

Early this morning, the diamonds were on show. I think these may be the things Shammickite was describing the other day, not spiderwebs. Still pretty though.



Then roasting vegetables for lunch, well, three lunches. Broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, yellow potatoes, thyme, Thai basil, olive oil, Old Bay, baharat, seasalt. 45 minutes at 400°f. 




Good, too. I might add a few capers on the second day.

Mail arrived with my tea supplies, yay.


Also with official notice that my supplementary medicare policy has gone up. I have great coverage, and pay quite a bit. Medicare monthly payment, gap policy, the one that's gone up, rx coverage. They all go up every year. Oh well.  I've got the insurance.

Then neighbor shows up with a large bag of laundry. His dryer broke down, they have the part, waiting for the official service people, gas dryer, utility company has to do it.

So he loaded the laundry into my dryer here, and I took it downstairs for pickup once dry. And asked his advice about the downstairs toilet with the dodgy mechanism, that wasn't flushing right. Then it wouldn't stop running. He said on no account get a plumber, I'll do this.

Here he is removing the works to take to the store and replace. The bathroom is now full of wrenches and pliers. He'll shop, he loves shopping of this kind, then fix it. 

My neighborhood at work. 


15 comments:

  1. What a great neighborhood! And beautiful diamonds!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those diamonds- I have seen similar phenomena but they were spider webs with dew caught in them for a short and beautiful moment.
    Roasted vegetables! Always excellent.
    And neighbors who will fix your toilet after they use your dryer are absolutely priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary's a local treasure. A natural caregiver. He came back, fitted the new works and a flexible hose. It's done. Refused to be paid for the materials. That's Gary.

      Delete
  3. I roasted vegetables to have with quinoa. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reminding me I have quinoa. I must put some with the veggies tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The diamonds are wonderful. They must be suspended on webs. Or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fine web like filaments. But I'm hoping Shammickite comes in and reminds me what they are.

      Delete
  6. Too impatient, I went to her blog Rooks Nest and found it's the branching mycelium of the dollar spot fungus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love roasted vegetables and prepare them like that often. We sometimes have them over rice. Isn't it wonderful when neighbors can help one another like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like very much that he simply showed up knowing I would right away say, when he explained about the dryer, well you'll have to dry your laundry here. He knows me!

      Delete
  8. You have the best neighbors. I'm looking forward to trying your seasoning on some veggies next time I roast some. Except I don't have Thai basil or baharat. I have a feeling Old Bay will kick everything up a notch higher than I normally make it though. Great idea. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baharat is comparatively mild, just gives a lovely depth of flavor. I like Old Bay often, not too hot, just interesting.

      Delete
  9. I just had my toilet flush mechanism replaced too! They wear out after a while, the seal loosens and the toilet runs. So annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's something to be said about remaining in your current neighbourhood, particularly when there's a great handyman available. Moving to a new spot would involve developing a whole new support system that isn't easy to accomplish these days.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!