Friday, July 9, 2021

Daily Bread and Daily Respite

 I needed bread, and thought the fastest form, as usual when I don't feel like heating up the kitchen long, is hot biscuits.

So today I  made a batch and thought a different touch might be good.

Usual buttermilk sub made from whole milk and lemon juice, three table spoons Italian olive oil.

Mixture of durum whole wheat and bolted wheat, baking soda and baking powder, salt, with a new addition, a tablespoon each of dried sage, from my plant, and lime zest which needed using, been in the freezer long enough. 425° ten minutes.

It worked okay, could have used more flavoring but I hadn't wanted to overwhelm the taste.


Lunch, leek potato soup with a sprig of fresh sage on top, and a hot biscuit, split and buttered with Irish butter. Pretty good.

When you're not in the mood for cooking but need to eat, a bit of decoration on top of the soup is very cheering.

Speaking of cheering, I continue to get daily cheerful messages from  Clara Parkes Daily Respite, which she started to help us get through the pandemic. 

I signed up for daily emails, and they're great. Sometimes funny video, sometimes amazing ideas, sometimes her own Vimeo of the water's edge and the sound of little waves near her Maine home.

Highly recommended. She's a designer and very creative person, and you can Google her to find out how to sign up. No, she doesn't know I'm saying this! 

Now I'm reading Bess Crawford, dozing and keeping cool. We had rain overnight, just storms, nothing like the flooding further north. The hurricane hasn't arrived yet. 

These were apparently unrelated rains. They provided us with all the humidity we can handle, which is why I walked this morning and am staying in this afternoon.

Happy Friday, dear readers.









8 comments:

  1. Biscuits sound wonderful. Hummmm…maybe…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Biscuits do sound good. If up early, then using oven shouldn't be that bad on hot humid days. I hope not, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For bread, it's the logistics. First mixing the dough, then ninety minutes minimum rising time, then an hour at 450°f. Then a couple of hours for the kitchen to cool again. So ten minutes at 400°f for biscuits works better.

      Delete
  3. I love how you are always willing to try new things when you are cooking Experimenting with flavors and seasoning is how great recipes are born! Happy Friday to you, although I'm so late it will soon be Saturday. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had a biscuit split and buttered for breakfast, and the sage was really good. I couldn't much detect the lime though. Maybe a pinch of sumac would be better for a citrus flavor. Hmmm. Yes, experimenting happens around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the sun is finally out down here today. we'll see how long it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the info about Clara Parkes - I've subscribed. If nothing else I know I'll enjoy her quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. I love to hear from her daily. I think you'll like her.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!