Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Summer tea and fore-edge painting

Yesterday's visit by Handsome Son, first for a couple of weeks,  included a summer tea


Complete with lemon bars, plum cake, suntea with lemon and spearmint, and a little bunch of flowers from the front yard. Couple of early chrysanthemums, couple of daisies, sprig of creeping Jenny. Note that we're finally sharing the tea and cakes instead of individual Covid style settings.

Not sure if Handsome Son noticed any of this, but it pleased me!

And he was very happy when I presented him with his Dad's Cross pen and pencil set, all in working order. He hadn't known about it so it was quite a surprise. He loves vintage, especially if it's from Handsome Partner. 

And we pored over the latest dox from the condo association to fathom what they wanted this time. Took both of us to unravel the convoluted prose. Evidently the township has changed the Fire regs yet again. It seems we're still in compliance, though.

Back to reading, I noticed in the Inspector Rutledge book  a reference to fore-edge painting, without an explanation, and remembered what it is. 


Thought you might be interested in this very niche artform. As a kid I had no idea this was a thing, and tried drawing on the page edges of closed books. A few years ago I discovered it was a kind of art, going way back.

When the book's open, or on the shelf, spine out, the art's invisible. You can see it only with the book closed. It's fun to try, if you clamp the book closed to keep the pages tight shut so the paint doesn't seep in. 

This isn't a flip book thing which I expect we all did as kids, little drawings on the top right corners to make a kind of animation when you flipped the pages fast. If you haven't done this, it's fun. Also great for little kids to try, just sayin.

Yesterday's Freecycle listing included this entry


I wondered if she was having a dig at the likes of me, then found that apparently there's a magazine called Lady. And there was a missing comma after Lady. Ah. 

I do like this kind of thing, like the weak old chickens advertised in the local paper. And the eight week old doxins, all weened. Perfectly clear if you read it aloud.

And my current horoscope did a feature assigning characters in the Wizard of Oz by sign. Evidently I'm pretty scruffy but mentally alert.


So it could be worse. I keep telling myself this when I'm bored with being kept home isolated because of another heatwave. Big storms last night, saved me from needing to water the plants today. So there's that.

14 comments:

  1. I know of the art form, fore edge painting though I have never seen one in person, just pictures. It's not as hot as it's been here which is a nice relief. still getting some rain nearly every day so my water bill, which is usually high during the summer is maintaining it's basic level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Collectors scour yard sales, flea markets, just in case. Antique shops would be expensive because they know how collectible these books are.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a proper non-covid tea with your son. It is the little things that make us feel as if we may be getting back to normal, isn't it? The hug, the kiss, the shared plate of food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read books that reference that type of art but never seen it. It would certainly personalize any book! Nice afternoon tea there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, phonetic spelling makes perfect sense to the ear, although not to the eye! That's a couple of great examples in your post, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not having individual servings any more is a huge step, Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. We're so cautious that this is the first time I ventured to do it.

      Delete
  6. You set a lovely table and I love that cloth. I'm sure you and your son must have had a wonderful visit. How nice you could surprise him with the Cross Pen set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The white cloth was a wedding present! 1963, but who's counting. The one underneath is one I made, and two matching napkins one of which is currently lost.
      I meant to give you a good report on the Scottish breakfast tea: definitely good, more sort of malty than the English breakfast tea, but really good. Worth a try. The sun tea seen here is made from the failed English breakfast in which I got a refund! It made terrible hot tea, and good suntea.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for your report on the Scottish breakfast tea. I love to see you using your wedding gift cloth. I have some antique family linens that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weak old chickens - snicker!! Hadn't known about fore edge painting so now I'll be on the lookout for examples. And, your tea with Handsome Son must have been a delight for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a lovely drawn work table scarf, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a square afternoon tea cloth, but you're seeing it on a coffee table. I like it very much.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!