Saturday, May 22, 2021

Misfits and other surprises

One surprise came when I was creeping about in the early morning on the patio, getting awake, not a morning person, seeing what was new. 

What I had taken to be a new spurt of the yellow golden showers climber, turns out not to be.




Red roses are emerging. This is an even older regrowth, from a sad little red rose I rescued from a friend's garden at her request when she moved years ago. 

It never flourished for me, either and I finally dug it up maybe three years ago. And here it's having a whole new life. There must have been a stray root biding its time.

It might be the result of my tossing out my tea leaves routinely around the yellow rose roots. Roses like the extra acid. But who knows. I guess it will survive the fence project.


The yellow potatoes are growing well now.


And I'm going to leave the chives to blossom, because they're great for pollinators. Look at that beautiful structure. Cruciferous, cross shaped for us nonposh folks. Amazing artwork. I swiped a better image from a botanical public domain site, here


I really have to get myself a new hand magnifier. My old one fell apart.


And finally late in the day, must have been the last off the truck, came the Misfits box. Missing the cauliflower, for which they're apologetically refunding me. 

And here's the Friday evening salad. Some friends have a Friday martini, some honor their inner rabbit.


Which I did. For once I thought I'd eat it just as it came without rushing to salt, oil, vinegar, mayo, just taste the nude food. 

I recommend this. It was great, deep tomato flavor, crunchy romaine, sweet blueberries. Very satisfying sometimes to listen to the food instead of acting on it. There's a lot already going on in good produce without our helpful additions.

14 comments:

  1. "Honor their inner rabbit," LOL! And how nice to find a surprise rosebud in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rose is a little expected treasure! The best kind!
    I am trying to figure out what would best honor our first tomatoes. I have a feeling that my husband is going to want some sliced tomatoes with biscuits for his breakfast tomorrow. I can do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great opening day of the tomato season.

      Delete
  3. That little rose is determined to live! I love surprises like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see how she survives the fence upheaval. I think she's tough.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I realized that I often go right to herbs and spices, and sometimes less is more.

      Delete
  5. I often eat my salad sans dressing - not that it's necessarily a choice but more likely that I simply forgot to add the dressing and I'm too lazy to go back to the kitchen to get it. Nice that the rose has put in a surprise appearance but now it's to be hoped the ever-elusive fencers don't trample it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first I thought that chive was a pink dandelion which my neighbor told me she saw at a greenhouse. There is a dandelion in your pot but the chive is pink.

    What a lovely rosebud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dandelion is a welcome self seeded plant, unsprayed because the landscapers don't come into private patios, so I can safely eat it.

      Delete
  7. That's a fair amount of food to consume in a week. I like my salad nekkid; for the first time in three years I put salad dressing on the list. I have plans for the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get my misfits boxes every two weeks, so it's fine for that period.

      Now I'm curious to know what the bottle will become.

      Delete
  8. Your salad looks delicious, we nearly always have undressed salad, but usually because I forget to make dressing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you knew all along what I just discovered!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!