Monday, May 31, 2021

Chai and Tunisian mitering

The chai arrived today from Reluctant Trading. They're expensive and they're good.


And the smell when I opened the airtight container was wonderful. Just what you hope for. I could identify cardamon, cloves, nutmeg, other spices. I'm looking forward to trying it. 


I can probably reproduce this myself, but these guys have wonderful spices, so I'm trying them first.

In other news, I learned a new skill. I made a Mitered Square in Tunisian crochet. 

I found I had a couple of Tunisian hooks I didn't know I had, including this plastic one which is much easier to use than the long metal one. 

It has a cable which enables long rows of stitches. Like the cables on circular knitting needles except the crochet ones are finished with a stopper instead of meeting another needle end as for knitting.

The cable is a bit resistant and I may need to heat it a bit to make it more flexible so it doesn't keep turning the hook over.


And I tried a new idea. Instead of making a crocheted chain, I cast on stitches as if to knit, and got a nice firm starting edge.


You need an odd number of stitches to make this work, so I cast on 23, enough to try out the technique. 

It's done in simple stitch, with the middle three stitches picked up together. This is why you need the odd number, to allow for that middle stitch with an even number on each side of it.

And, as you see, it worked. Very pleased about this new learning. I can use this as a scissor tag, too. It needs to be steamed because it's curly still.

You can make this with a regular crochet hook, no need for the long type. 

I listened to Donna Leon for the short time it took to make it.

Spaghetti and meatballs for lunch, roast chicken and yellow potatoes for supper. The last of the fig cake at teatime.  Such excitement.

Wonderful walk today in real sunshine. 

14 comments:

  1. I love the smell of chai spice tea! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may replace my evening golden milk.

      Delete
  2. I think I'll go take that lovely chicken out of the freezer. Roast chicken with our potatoes and the last of the carrots and the fresh garlic and green beans would probably be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go you! Your stitches look perfect. I can almost smell that Chai from your description. Mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful stitches you've made there! The chai sounds wonderful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chai and your walk sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chai sounds wonderful for a summer ice tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wondered what chai was, did not think it was an assortment of herbs and spices. we have a beautiful clear sky today, well, this morning. it will cloud up later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spices are cooked in milk, then strained and sweetened, and that's chai.

      Delete
  8. I hope your new tea measures up (pun not intended there). I like chai in the winter months but no interest when it's hot. Altho - wonder now what it would be like iced....hmmm. I will have to add Tunisian to my list of things I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice glass of iced chai at your side as you do your Tunisian crochet sounds good.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!