Saturday, May 15, 2021

Statice in new home, likewise the dryer

A couple more thrills and spills before Mrs Miele took up residence. Finally installer got in touch early this morning, gave me eta of 11-1, to call when leaving previous location. Fine, transmitted info to Handsome Son.

Then a text at noon: flat tire on truck with dryer loaded on it. New eta of 2 soonest, would I rather postpone? After trying for fifteen months for this, what's a couple of hours..I said no, please come today.

Which he did, very nice guy,  and singlehandedly lifted the old dryer off the wall, none of the problems I'd been disasterizing, installed the new proud beauty on top, without dropping it,  took away all the debris, was done in a bit over an hour and a half, including setting the dryer up to run so we could see it at work.

Charged me half what the appliance guy had estimated. Cheerful even about the flat,  said it was better than happening on the beach, where he takes the truck  in summer. Definitely a glass half full man.

You see the compact area we had to work with. Every square inch occupied. Why we had to take what fitted.

Happy campers all round. Handsome Son very pleased. So's his landlady.

We had a celebratory cup of Earl Grey, and I departed, exhaling all the way home.

So we got our money's worth from my relief check in drama and suspense, supported a local small business, (installer's a one-man band), plus  supported the appliance retail sector, and I hope the appliance man gets a commission, because he was on top of it. 

And provided a gripping saga for the benefit of the blogistas of Field and Fen. Better than stuffing it in the mattress.

The statice has company now and a place in the window.  

While I was over at the condo I did a bit of gardener's larceny, and uprooted  a couple of stems of spearmint and peppermint from the foot of the steps. I'd planted everything there back when I lived there, so it was more like reclamation. I've potted them firmly, they're not getting loose to take over. 

Spearmint tea is lovely in summer.

And peppermint makes a wonderful sauce for vegetables and lamb, which I don't eat, but good with all kinds of food. Just finely minced, vinegar, spoonful of sugar, done, and excellent.  

My Aunt Annie showed me how to make it when I was very small. Also inadvertently  illustrating that an unmarried working lady can, too, cook. The first recipe I ever made, except no recipe, we just did it. 

Aunt Annie was the eldest sister in my mom's family, worked in an local orphanage when I was young, as a housemother. 

Many of the kids had at least one parent who couldn't keep them, often the mother of the family had died, the father had no way to cope and work, no child care in existence, unless a female relative could be conscripted. So they usually couldn't be adopted, the idea being to be back with a parent at some point. Pretty bleak life.

This institution was comparatively enlightened, with boys housed in actual house-type buildings, sixteen to a housemother, like an oversized family but not the kind of crowd kids get lost in.  We knew Annie as Auntie Where the Boys Are, because of her job.

A cousin of mine also worked there, much younger and always getting into trouble with the superintendent for being out on the playground roller skating with the boys, or getting up games of cricket when they thought she should be doing serious work like laundry. 

I've always thought she might have been the best thing that ever happened to the kids, injecting fun into lives that hadn't had much.

Another detour down les neiges d'antan..

 

24 comments:

  1. That dryer installation was win win win win, at long last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect I'm not the only person pleased we got here.

      Delete
  2. Pretty nice new washer/dryer -- you're in Laundry Heaven now! And now I know the answer to the question "Où sont les neiges d'antan?" -- they're here on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tenant has better appliances than I. My house has enough space for the more average ones.

      I like your neiges comment! Very cool.

      Delete
  3. I'm happy to hear the dryer is installed and done and I know you are as well! I enjoyed your memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect our readers will be wondering what I'll find to obsess about now!

      Delete
  4. We love an optimistic fellow! Glad that is sorted now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that washer/dryer installation - are they full size or 1 person small I love mints. Ideally they should be planted in different locations as they cross pollinate and all wind up smelling/tasting the same! Never do that myself - plant in separate locations. Ah well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're normal capacity. Not the oversized kind I have. And you see the space issue now.

      I never had a cross pollination issue with mints. They all seem to keep their flavors and scents Spearmint, orange mint, lemon balm, peppermint all close. Interesting idea, I wonder how come it hasn't happened in my yard.

      Delete
  6. Just read your previous reply to the comment about mints cross pollinating - I wonder if the difference might be because you plant yours in pots rather than let them run rampant in the ground? No idea, but seemed like a plausible explanation to me. So glad you finally can close the book on the gripping saga of the Great Dryer Escapade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a point about whether pots keeps species separate.

      Today I woke with a sense of lightness about the dryer saga. It's exactly the length of the pandemic dislocation, since the old one broke down right at the beginning of its effect. So I think it's become emblematic of it. Anyway let's hope for a new epoch now.

      Delete
  7. Dryer done and dusted! Hurray!
    Phew!
    I have planted some mint this year (peppermint, I think) and am waiting for it to suddenly overtaking the space I've planted it in. We shall see, won't we?
    "Auntie Where the Boys Are" is wonderful! I can't imagine being a housemother for sixteen boys. I also cannot imagine how much they could eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine the workload of the houseparents, either. I think meals were probably an institution wide thing, mass catering, because of costs, so I don't think they cooked for 16, at least not the main meals. I was very young and didn't know much about how it ran. I remember a couple of the boys my Mom would invite to our house sometimes, and how nice they were to me, much younger and a girrrrrl!

      Delete
  8. Good to see the dryer in place. I may get some mint for my container garden, I've never tried it in a container, but it grows so well, it should do fine. I only like peppermint tough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. well, yay, the dryer is in. how sad for kids whose parents have to give them up, even if just temporarily. at least some had your cousin to bring a little fun into their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loved Josie myself. In that culture it would be unusual for a working class man to take on child care. So they wouldn't have a great reluctance to let children go if they became widowed, because I doubt if they could see an alternative. The boys in their turn, sadly, would see this as how things were.

      Delete
  10. You made great use of the relief money.

    I enjoyed meeting the Auntie and cousin who worked with the orphaned boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they came to mind for me. There's a lot more spearmint around here than peppermint, so when I do find peppermint, it reminds me of Annie.

      Delete
  11. Mint sauce, so delicious. Easy to make too. I have a huge mint plant that threatens to take over the world every summer, just sprouting again now after sleeping all winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. This is literally the only dryer currently available that fits the specs.

      Delete
  13. Hallelujah! As much for the installer's attitude as for the dryer and the accomplishment! And thank you for the French lesson in passing.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly a treat to get something installed cheerfully! Especially when it has to come up a flight. That usually triggers moaning.

      As for the French: de rien, Madame!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!