Saturday, May 29, 2021

Jam review, and pockets ahoy!

My neighbor gave the strawberry ginger jam a good review. He had it on breakfast toast, liked it enough to make a second batch of toast to put it on. 

It did gel enough to stay on the toast. I've also had it on plain yogurt, like a sauce, and liked it a lot.  So that's good. There really is nothing as good as the flavor of jam  in small batches. I believe it has to do with the evaporation of liquid in the boiling. And using fresh picked peak ripe fruit counts.
 

And, on the Mitered Square jacket, msj, on mdw, Memorial Day weekend, pockets are happening.  

As I got under way with the yellow one you see above, I remembered I had a similar one already made somewhere, and found it. Perfect for the other pocket. Done in Tunisian Simple Stitch, just like the yellow one. I probably made it when I was learning simple stitch.

They needed to be bigger than the squares, to accommodate my hands and my phone and whatever else I want to put in. And they need to be firmer than knitting. So this was just the time for a bit of Tunisian crochet. You notice the giant crochet hook in the picture.

It's like a woven fabric, and I like doing it, a cross between knitting and crochet.
I realized after I started that I needed to review how to proceed, after I'd got the foundation chain done, the usual start of any crochet. 

One of the best teachers on YouTube is this lady

She's an excellent teacher, paced nicely for a beginner or a review, and I just like her a lot.



I am signed up;  she doesn't post a lot, but what she does is worth your time if you're interested. And she got me started again just fine. It all came back.

In the picture above of my pockets, there's a nice little piece of saori weaving I found, too, already lined as a wall hanging, but now I'm thinking a purse.. I can crochet a long strap, stitch up the sides with a flap, done. But first I'll finish the jacket.

And after that I'll make the skirt. I also unearthed a lovely piece of linen I'd dyed, which might be a skirt, if there's enough..you never know what you'll find in that little box of remnants and scraps.

Rainy cold weekend, but I'll be occupied.

13 comments:

  1. I learned how to crochet from my grandmother, probably in middle school. I haven't done any in decades though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother and one sister were great knitters, but crocheting was the province of my mom's sisters, who crocheted their summer lace gloves. I think it was a territorial thing.

      Delete
  2. Happy to hear the jam is a success - I suspect there will be more in your future. And yes, I agree that your jacket is needful of pockets and the Tunisian is a good option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been Jam Supplier to Next Door for years. Last one was the blueberry in April.

      Delete
  3. I've never even heard of Tunisian crochet! I want to learn! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! If your first tries are small you can use regular crochet hooks. The big Tunisian ones allow for big projects because you carry all the loops on the hook. I have used ordinary crochet hooks for phone purses, that kind of thing.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad the jam turned out and that both you and the neighbour liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don’t appear to ever be bored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There always seems to be plenty to do somehow.

      Delete
  6. A rainy and cold weekend here, too. Good to stay in and eat jam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the tip on videos
    Strawberry jam sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!