Monday, May 3, 2021

Breathing and looking about

A note this morning from C reminded me to look about. Lilac in bloom but not where I could stop and pic, blossom everywhere, saucer magnolia finished, partly by a late frost, partly recent rain and wind, dogwood in full bark.

First swallows all over the pond. Rain is on the way, so I expect there are plenty of insects to catch 

At my front door, the usual crowd of wild and tame flowers suddenly pushing about. First iris bud. I have to look up the wild friends again, poor memory.








And here's the latest reading. The Leon novel is a reread, the essays new to me.  I'm deep into The Strange Journey of Alice Pendelbury, too.


Also here's the Jacket's Progress. I have to lay it flat and stand to stitch, so as not to get lost.

And, on the olive oil cake front, to my amazement, it tastes much better after a day or two.  Handsome Son visited yesterday and actually liked it. But he did put in a request, while he was at it, for a repeat of the blueberry Newtons. Just in case I went over to  the olive oil cake side suddenly, I expect. Hedging his bets.

Sometimes life's about hedging your bets.

Speaking of which, I'm planning on a couple of nice upgrades at the condo once the plumbing and appliance situation is resolved.

One is a new mantel to replace the one I made and installed decades ago, which finally fell off. Here's where it was


And here's the one at the townhouse


I think the condo one, lighter colored floor, white surrounds, might be good with a paler wood, whatever Artist Michael suggests. He probably has some nice pieces he can pick from. The bas relief you can maybe see, is my work. Artist Michael will know how to accommodate it, I expect.

Raises the whole tone of the place. At the condo it's the first thing you see when you open the front door, so I'd like it to be nice to come home to.

Meanwhile, Son Michael is embarking on a serious cleaning and Winnowing, since I made the case that we need a nice environment for the original artwork mantel. He's usually oblivious to dust bisons and clutter. He's working on it now. I'll assist.

And I will replace the ancient track lights, there since the early 80s, installed by the original owner. It's time.

All in all, some progress. Thanks to you blogistas and other friends, raised spirits, too.

17 comments:

  1. I have track lighting in my apartment. It's one long pain in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the issue with it? The kind I'm replacing is not wired in, it's the plug in kind you just attach to the wall. If I can find a modern version, that is.

      Delete
  2. So nice to see the green things - they give one hope, don't they. Dust bisons made me smile and think about the fact that getting my eyes 'fixed' has led to numerous discoveries of various yuckies that surely must have simply sprung up overnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's better not to know!

      Delete
    2. How true! This morning it was the washing of the top of the kitchen cupboards which led to closer inspection of the kitchen ceiling. We won't discuss that.

      Delete
  3. Your jacket is coming along. The satisfaction of odds and bods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Turning seemingly useless scraps into something good. A lot of memories too in the yarn.

      Delete
  4. The jacket of many colours is taking shape. Things are finally starting to turn green here too though the leaves are a few weeks away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often forget you're quite a bit north of me.

      Delete
  5. I love the bas relief you added to the rental condo's fireplace. I look forward to seeing a picture of the new mantel. You also remind me... I have a strange new plant growing where normally only hostas grow. If I can remember, I'll get a picture of it soon and ask for some help identifying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do. Some of our blogistas are very knowledgeable.

      Delete
  6. It will be fun to see what kind of mantel you get for the condo. Your jacket looks great. You've made excellent progress. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same contractor made a lovely pine windowsill for the kitchen, with a rubbed finish, and I'm thinking something like that.

      Delete
  7. I'm amazed that you read more than one book at a time. I can barely keep track of one book. the bas relief around the fireplace is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to Joanne, I've added in another to the current roster.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!