Monday, May 24, 2021

Unexpected iris and other flashbacks

A garden as untended, and unintended, as mine, tends to bring the unexpected. This iris, a rebloomer which not only never rebloomed, but never bloomed at all for several years suddenly showed up, and very welcome, too. Two views



There are two other rebloomers,  one a beautiful pale blue which bloomed exactly once and another I don't even remember the color because she declined to bloom at all.

The roses are booming though, out back




And another memory out of nowhere, speaking of sudden appearances, I remembered Fred Whitehead, my brilliant, eccentric lecturer in Old French texts at uni. Name came up in an unrelated search.

He was the editor of the text we used in the course of learning Old French. It's as different from modern French as Beowulf is from modern English. 

Here's a sample from that text, La Chatelaine de Vergi different spellings, different editions:

Une maniere de gent sont

qui d'estre loial samblant font

et de si bien conseil celer

qu'il se covient en aus tier 

etc etc

The gist, being a very modern one, considering this was written in the thirteenth century, unknown author, goes like this:

There's a kind of person who pretends to be a friend and learns all about your business then runs about telling everyone and making fun of you, and here's the story of a secret affair gossiped about, and disaster.

Which of us has never lived through that or seen it happen? Some of us even have relatives who do that, read the advice columns for examples!

Long ago, and I do have a point here, I used to teach community writing classes largely to educated young women, going mad at home with young children, who, however beloved, didn't exactly function as intellectual companions. 

The moms, and some older women convinced they could write gripping memoirs, seized on what I had to offer as an outlet for their thinking. Always wildly overbooked, the classes ran for years and quite a few published pieces came out of them. 

Eventually I began gently to discourage people from repeatedly signing up because I wanted them to function as independent writers, not as my students. This wasn't popular, since some folks were willing to depend on me forever! 

Anyway one technique I taught, to enable them to set up their own writing life, was to analyze features and stories and note which publications ran them. Then they could target their submissions.  

This was back in the days of dozens of print publications open to freelance and spec. submissions. I sold regularly that way, taught myself by observation how this worked, and passed on the info.

I'd bring  in to class features and stories I'd clipped, and read them without any indication of the source, and have students guess the source.

Now this was also the days of the true confession mags, full of fiction written in the first person, rattling good stories and snubbed by a lot of wannabes who refused even to buy them to study style, because the covers were lurid. They were missing a lot, out of a bit of snobbery,  wanting their friends to see them in classy mags, not in, clutching pearls, confession mags for working class ladies.

Anyway I wanted them to be writers, understanding that your market might be unexpected. At that time I was selling some great stuff routinely to the confessions, as well as to name brand places, paying my son's considerable medical bills from the proceeds. This was also the days when pre existing conditions rendered a baby patient uninsurable, but moving on.

So there were a few hilarious sessions of people guessing oh, Redbook? McCalls? No? True Confessions! Oh. They began to realize some really snappy fiction was to be found in those despised mags. I showed them how the stories worked, not to copy but to get the hang of rhythm and structure.

Then when they were pretty knowledgeable, I brought in the Chatelaine, classic old French text, very respected literature, and translated as I went, not explaining the origin. You were wondering when I would get to the point of mentioning it at all.. 

And half the class said, oh, that's so gripping and immediate, it must be from a confessional mag! It's wonderful!  You can't fool us!

Then I passed  around the book, in Old French and, as they puzzled over the weird language. explained nope, classic tale of love and secrecy and crossed wires and despair and hope. Cornerstone of early French literature.

Which shows that you get good lit where you find it, not always where academia says it's spozed to be. It might be in the canon. It might not. And then again, you have to be your own guide. And read, and write, your own choice, no matter what anyone tells you. Including me.

Also there's animal action in old stories. In the Chatelaine, a little dog is an important actor. Seven centuries before Toto.

Meanwhile back nearer the present

This is easier to get hold of than the Chatelaine de Vergi, (though that's online in translation, not very long, if you fancy taking a stab at it)  and another great Brunetti narrative.  

As always I recommend it both for excellent storytelling and incidental learning about history and food and languages of Venice and Italy in general.

Another day in the ragbag of my mind!



13 comments:

  1. no telling why some iris bloom and others don't. I have a clump sent to me by a friend in Ohio, this is their third spring and still no blooms. I dug up a few bulbs along the fence over at the shop this spring that haven't bloomed in a couple of years hoping they'll like a new location better.

    speaking of lurid rags, I just finished a Nora Roberts book and in this series at least in the first book she's toned that down, only two descriptions and mild at that. I used to read her a lot, though not for the lurid parts, as she is a fine storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The confessions had very mild but action filled stories back in the seventies. Only the covers were lurid! Take the covers off, ad I used to for class purposes, and they're just good tales. The sex was muted and indirect, almost Austenian! And no violence on stage.

      Delete
  2. Today it's fanfiction that gets denigrated. And, of course, some of it IS pure crap. But some fanfiction is outstanding and quite good enough to be published, if it weren't for the copyright infringement aspect.

    That pure white iris is spectacular! Some of My Rare One's irises are in bloom now but they are a beautiful purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A squirrel broke the stem of the white iris, so it's indoors in a vase now, sigh. The other two blooms in the stem may not flower.

      I used to know a whole gang of young fanfiction writers. They were all men in their twenties, and I wondered if it was a male thing or just depended on what the original was.

      Delete
  3. Your writing class sounds interesting. I can imagine older women might have enjoyed the class as well as the young moms. I would like a writing class today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were tons of older women. I just tend to remember the desperate young moms because I was one!

      Delete
  4. Your mind is definitely not a ragbag - there's so much of interest lurking about in there. I went to exactly one writing class years ago. One...and left at coffee break time. It was facilitated by the local Women's Resources organization and obviously the attendees were repeating the class. During the first part of the class they read their writings aloud and every single one of them were bashing men - some of them quite extensively. Obviously they came from sad backgrounds and thus had a valid reason to be suspicious of men but it was very off-putting to those of us who were there to simply learn to write and who happened to think the the male species wasn't all the spawn of Satan. They broke for coffee and continued their discussion and my friend and I looked at one another and got up and left. Maybe it was wrong of us to react that way but it was quite obvious the way the class was leaning and with the added encouragement of a very sympathetic to the cause leader. Sadly there has never been another opportunity to test the waters re writing skills since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds more like a critique group than a writing class. I used to set ideas and structures for people to use in each week's assignment. It was a lot of fun. And I encourages nonfiction, to get people's thoughts moving.

      Delete
  5. As I learned years ago, there is nothing new under the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a bit of wisdom that comes with age. Young people tend to think everything they just found out about is new!

      Delete
  6. This is a good topic. There have been so many writers, both male and female, whose work has been disdained due to its popularity or to a perceived notion of its genre. Or, as you say, where it was published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise writers, typically pale and male, whose writing is wildly overvalued because of connections in publishing and academia.

      Delete
  7. Interesting, post, lots to think about
    Living through unkind rumors isn't easy no matter who the sources are, family, friends, aquaintances, neighbors. It is hurtful. Best way to deal with it, is pull away from people like that.
    Writing. For sure, I can write Juicy stuff, but I feel this way...Romans 12:19...Vengence is mine saith the Lord. I can, however, make stuff up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!