Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Weather, weaving and watering

 Lovely stroll out this morning before it got too warm, chat with a neighbor I haven't seen for a while along this section


She was happy to see me, said she looks out because she knows I walk regularly, and everyone likes to check up on me! Which is true. If I change my walk I hear from someone who hasn't seen me. 

We went on to grumble about the fence project, which has now caused the departure of the site manager, so who knows what next. And so home again.


Then,  outdoor knitting and napping, I heard my neighbor watering her extensive plant collection and noticed it was time to set up for an online textile event, started to move indoors. 

Whereupon neighbor runs to the fence: did I water you? I notice you're going in. No, no, time for something else, no problem. Poor lady thought she'd drenched me in her enthusiasm.

Anyway there was, despite technical hitches, a great presentation about coverlet weaving, traditional in the Appalachians, by Cassie Dickson, native of Mississippi now living in north Carolina. 

These are some of her many artworks. Ed note: the Whitney Young mentioned below is also Cassie's niece. I think that's how they snagged her for this event. 


Dickson is also a natural dyer, and grows her linen thread from seed, the entire process, to spinning and weaving, as fine as 36-40 threads per inch.
And does it all traditional style. She weaves linsey-woolsey, one fiber for warp, one for weft.


She dyes with local plants, rhododendron, madder, walnut, marigold, and others. 

And she raises silkworms, feeds them on mulberry leaves,  and weaves the resulting silk thread.


Here's the silk process at different points

And here's this brilliant artist researcher and teacher. Worth checking her IG account.


Since HGA kindly sent me the link even though I'm no longer a member, I thought I'd give them a shout-out.


After this amazing work, down with a bump, found a piece of cotton fabric I think I'll make a skirt from. Haven't hand stitched anything to wear for a while.

I'm nearing the end of the Mitered Square jacket, so this is next, along with embroidering the black Robe now that the light has returned. I haven't forgotten the Robe. And there's the linen samples, too.

Always like a new idea or three out in front to think about.

15 comments:

  1. It is wonderful you have such good neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always realize they're looking out for me.

      Delete
  2. Looks like it was a good presentation on coverlet weaving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful. Some of the weaving references were above my pay grade, but the gist was great.

      Delete
  3. "before it got too warm" - my goodness, your weather has changed! You have lovely neighbors - in many ways.

    The textiles are exquisite, and I am beyond flabbergasted at someone who grows her own flax to spin, much less dye, much less silkworms!

    Was beginning to wonder what your next textile project would be. Nice fabric!

    We will cover just-transplanted squash and melon seedlings for the next several nights to protect from frost. Typical spring in southern Idaho: 90 degrees yesterday (happy melons! Unhappy Chris!), 35 degrees predicted for tomorrow night, and could be lower (unhappy melons! Unhappy Chris!).

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring weather is really sadistic for the gardener. We're moving into a period of 80s in the day, 40s at night, pretty tolerable. I can't be out in that sun long. The patio is shaded in the afternoon though.

      Delete
  4. Your outdoor pictures are beautiful. I love how everything is so green and fresh this time of the year. That fabric you have will make a lovely skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a lovely time, before heat arrives.

      Delete
  5. I have a very old piece of what I think is woven linen that was somehow in with my grandmother's things. It may well be the most valuable thing I own and it's tucked away somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know if it was part of something? I'm glad you've kept it.

      Delete
  6. There's a woman in Houston connected with the Handweavers Guild there who dies silk in a process where she takes leaves, twigs, berries, etc., and lays them on the silk and does her magic which transfers the shapes of the items in whatever color it produces on the silk. she makes some lovely scarves.

    I made three skirts a couple of years ago from some nice soft cotton plaids I picked up at a garage sale but I used a sewing machine! in the summer they are what I wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done silk dyeing the way you describe. A couple of our blogistas have, too. It's a kind of steaming process. I've done it with linen, too. I have to get on with my skirt!

      Delete
  7. I wove one overshot coverlet in my life. Then I sold it on EBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a picture? I bet it was a beauty.

      Delete
  8. Having good neighbours is a huge benefit - but in order to have them, it's always good to BE one too (and I know you are). You're a braver woman than I will ever be because making clothing is out of my realm.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!