Monday, May 17, 2021

Movie for grown up kids, and other pursuits

After the excitement and stress lately I thought I'd catch a nice unstressful movie so here it is


It was lovely, funny, you knew nobody would come out traumatized, and the voice of Paddington was just right. Diffident, polite, a bit of a Bertie Wooster, very appealing. Maybe I'll watch more kid stuff. Not Disney though, they're sadistic, deliberately upsetting and off-putting. 

I know too many people my age who first saw Snow White at about age 6 and were terrorized by it. Well meaning parents taking them to see it as a treat, after said children had experienced bombing, war terror, rationing which was close to starvation. 

To this day I can't eat a red apple because of the poisoned one. And the wicked queen coming after the little girl, like our imagined enemy invaders. Nooooo.  

And don't get me started on the Wizard of Oz, with the writing in the sky, which meant death coming from the sky to my mind. I can't sit through it. 

And the witch under the house like a bomb casualty, I can't bear to think of that scene, or the melting. It took three tries to type that last word. That's about Hiroshima. Never assume young children are unaware of world events.

Moving on from the inferno of my childhood trauma, I'm reading Emma with my Tiny Email Book group. We started Mansfield park, but the other member said nah, not into it, let's do Emma instead. The beauty of a tiny group! Emma it is.

I usually look for an illustration of what I'm reading, more interesting for you and might be a lure to reading or rereading yourself. 

I don't write about books I don't like or respect, of which I start a lot, somebody went to a lot of trouble to write them, after all.  But some books I do love are not always well served by marketing.

Here's a bodice ripper version of Emma, created I guess to present it as an olde worlde romance novel.


And here's an inadvertently comic one just asking for a caption. Please offer one in your comments.


And here's what looks like Emma taking a rest while dragging a bag of laundry to the washer's house.


This one plays it safe with historically authentic silhouettes and maybe wallpaper, but still thinks it's all about coupling, rather than the brilliant comedy of manners it is.
 

It's still a rattling good novel, great set up for how it unfolds. And whatever cover it comes in, highly recommended. 

10 comments:

  1. I've never read it. Just finished the book I have been reading and don't recommend it. Wrote up the book review for when I publish my spring reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austin is enjoyable for me but not my favorite. I suppose I have pedestrian tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jane Austen’s Emma too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rather wanted to see Paddington when it came out but didn't happen. Hopefully it will show up on Netflix at some point. I'm with you in being traumatized by some of the so-called children's movies. Why do they think that kids like to have the mother die in most of them? To this day I can't watch Bambi for that very reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my movie going is either DVD from the library or YouTube! I think the Disney people secretly hate kids!

      Delete
  5. My knowledge of Paddington stops at the bear someone brought for mom. Sadly, mom died a week before, unbeknownst. So, that Paddington still sits on my dresser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sad connection. I knew nothing about Paddington other than his hat and his liking for marmalade sandwiches. I just thought I'd like to know more.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed the "Paddington" movie too, plus its sequel. I read the books when I was a kid. The movies were considerably more "action packed" but kids nowadays need that non-stop visual stimulation apparently. Anyway, the voice of Paddington is the marvelous British actor Ben Whishaw who is brilliant in any movie/mini-series I've seen him in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I need to find the sequel, thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!