Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Tangents and mind travel

 

The buds you might be able to see on this Golden Showers yellow climbing, currently sprawling, rose are a tangent in themselves. The original bush never did well, was finally ftost killed last winter and I cut it all the way back.

Then this offshoot suddenly started up a couple of weeks ago, is budding all over, more than the original ever did, and really earning a place here. I can't support it just yet, because of the impending fence work, so I hope it survives most probably being trodden on by heedless fencers' boots , if that's what you call people who replace fences.

But it does show that sometimes your original plan can be replaced by something better. Words to live by especially nowadays.

Work on the jacket continues, my stitching up having revealed a bit of a design flaw, and now I need more squares.  
 

At this rate I'll have a hospital gown-sized jacket but by gum, it will work. Another original plan replaced by a better one, at least that's the idea.

And this confirmed hater of travel, whose life has imposed quite a bit of it in the course of events, is peacefully traveling in books.


A Single Swallow, by Zhang Ling,. Chinese Canadian writer,  is a wonderful journey of the spirit, literally, magic realism in matter of fact language, well worth investigating. I'm not far into it, and already like the good humor even recounting difficult experiences  

It's one of a whole series of books in translation that Amazon offered free of charge recently as ebooks, to mark some literary day.  I feel it's only right to give them a boost as I read, so the writer eventually gets a little something out of it, even if not from this grateful reader. 

The Strange Journey of Alice Pendelbury, originally in French, was my first, which I reviewed enthusiastically recently. This is the second I'm coming to.

As always I'm switching among several books, my tiny email book group now starting a classic reread

I never appreciated this when I read it younger, not having much patience with the gothic novel, so not with a satire on it either. But I'm a better reader now, and the wit is just sparkling off the page.  Great choice, Marilyn.

And there's more Alexandra Fuller, this time about her mother's life. 

 
The chimpanzee with her here was a childhood friend. Story of her life, really.
 
And reading several books at once, doing a lot of projects at once, is the story of mine.  It's how I roll.  And I do finish everything, and do it as well as I can.  But definitely I am not temperamentally capable of doing one thing at a time.  
 
I remember long ago, when I was in high school, a then boyfriend, later husband, of my eldest sister, was horrified when he came into the living room of our house and saw me, sitting on the arm of the sofa, writing my essay, listening to the radio and taking part in a conversation in our crowded, big family, room!  
 
He ran to my mother exclaiming she'll never pass any exams that way!  Whereupon Mom gently pointed out that I was the star student of the place, and that's how I worked. All our family did.  He was baffled.  But then he was a) an engineer, and b) a male.  So his idea of concentration was to be in a silent room studying one thing at a time.  Not that I had access to a silent room anyway, large family in tiny house, but it wouldn't have done me a bit of good.  
 
I spent a lot of my youth in a small house, before my sibs began to emigrate in search of a decent life, with a living room, tiny, containing the dining table as well as living room furniture, with two sisters dancing to radio music in one corner, another one knitting something beautiful, she was a great knitter, my Dad discussing the football scores with a brother or two,  someone coming in from work for dinner, maybe an aunt or two bossing my mother about, much eye rolling, and at least three conversations going on simultaneously, all perfectly intelligible to everyone. You took part in them all.  It was an antiphonal way of life, really. 

This is why I came to realize that it was not a failing in me to be unable to do one thing at a time, but a great advantage, particularly in the professional jobs I had where I was simultaneously directing up to twenty projects, each with its own framework and people involved, very happily, no stress at all.  My sibs all prospered similarly.  The world isn't built for, or by, one track folks, at least that's my experience.  So when you learn to meditate, you are used to allowing multitudes of thoughts to crowd in and to leave, no sweat.

I think art thrives on this kind of thinking, a lot churning in the back of your mind, which you take not much notice of when the front of your mind is a railway junction of ideas whizzing around and past each other and making connections. Then those connections appear and you don't always know where they originate.  
 
My family was famous for this sort of leap thinking and learning, and I know my brothers, asked to show their working in math, used to go back, having intuitively solved the problem, to figure out the steps they probably took to get there, and fill them in.  
 
I used to do this with my school essays, which I wrote a top speed, reorganized a little, and then went back to create a framework that I supposed would have been necessary to that sort of thinker!  I suspect my English teacher was onto me, though, but she didn't give me away.  That approach stood me well when I sold a lot of freelance writing in later life, to pay the medical bills of our baby son, whom I couldn't leave to work.
 
Then, when my son got older and proved to be a very adept self teacher, learning in massive chunks after seeming not to be working at all, I watched his teachers grasp that he might be just sitting, apparently not doing, until the last few minutes of class, when he would suddenly start writing or drawing, whatever it was, like a demon, and produce a lovely piece of work.  Later he taught himself several computer languages just because he felt like it.  I know that feeling.  Runs in the DNA.  I expect sister Dogonart who reads in here will be nodding in recognition here. Anyway, just a bit of musing about the relative usefulness of doing one thing at a time. No criticism of people who do that, just a reflection on people who don't.

And, yesterday's pie going over a treat for lunch, I needed a little something for supper, so this was a chance to use up the egg I'd brushed onto the crust. 


Added another, broke it, in a buttered souffle dish, over the remains of a tomato salad, those lovely tomatoes you last saw on the vine from Misfits, chunks of sharp cheddar, black pepper, bit of kosher salt, 25 minutes at 400°f.  I didn't have bread, need to remedy that today, but if you do,  this is great over buttered toast.

So that's us, tangents and all.


8 comments:

  1. I did not know that you are a travel hater! That's interesting. It's very stressful for me as I am such a terrible creature of habit now but I have certain places that I know I'll feel very comfortable in and that makes those trips easier.
    You will certainly get some new perspectives on Alexandra Fuller's mother in that book. I seriously do not know how she survived her life.
    I am not so good at multitasking. I can do a few things at once like cook and listen to podcasts or books but I cannot listen to music and write at the same time. We are all wired differently. I have heard that Bill Clinton was a famous multitasker. He probably still is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people are not happy if not multitasking. You must fit in that category. I have been like that most of my life always working on several things at once. I'm not as much of a multitasker as I've gotten older but I do still have a couple of things going at once or I'm bored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy your tangents! I suspect growing up in a household filled with people has probably helped hone that particular talents in you. I was an only child so things around our house were relatively quiet but I have a 'jumpy mind' (as some sleepless nights will attest) and tend to do a lot of thinking while I'm working on something else. Sometimes all that thought leads to something good but more often than not it's mostly just short little bursts of thoughts that seemingly have no bearing on anything else. Oddly, I'm a person who very rarely remembers my dreams and yet Resident Chef can give me an account of ALL of his.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Born multitasker indeed.

    I do hope the rose vine survives the fence workers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have lost multitasking, let it slip. No more than two things at once now, and definitely not while I'm walking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah -a fellow multi-tasker! Able to do many things at once - very good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post to a life pace not often read about.
    Being near the opposite end of the spectrum, it is pleasant to think of what my life would, and still could, be if I had the you type energy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!