Wednesday, May 26, 2021

The kitchen front, two takes

 I'm currently reading The Kitchen Front, by Jennifer Ryan, for which I have been waiting I dunamany weeks.

Set in wartime Britain with food rationing and the workarounds important particularly to women struggling to cope with what really was near starvation, it's an interesting take with all kinds of emotional buttons pushed. A cooking contest, the winner to be a presenter on BBC radio, is at the hub of events. It presents recipes as it goes, too.

It's a bit unfair to read this after Austen, Leon, or Winspear, because the writing level doesn't compare. But I like the concept so I'll finish it. 

And she did her homework on the history of the time, full credit there. If you're not familiar with the British food rationing of the early 40s, her opening account of a week's allowance of food (only if available, not guaranteed), for an adult,  might be an eye opening surprise. Other scenes, too, but I'll leave you to read it.

Meanwhile on the other kitchen front, D's suggestion yesterday about ginger strawberry jam came to pass. Small batch jams are good. Just enough to enjoy and give a bit to the neighbors.


Here's the makings. Small batches aren't a big deal.


And this is on the way to unboildownable. See soup pot on the other burner, we'll get to that.

Here's the resulting jam. I boiled it for quite a while longer than usual, and I hope I succeeded in getting it to gel. Once it's cool I'll know. Its delicious, with that bite of ginger. If it doesn't gel, it's fruit sauce.


And since I urgently needed lunch, a soup of butternut squash, red lentils and cashews also happened at basically the same time. The broth is a Rachel Ray vegetable one, and very good. 

The sprig of thyme on the soup is more than just pretty. It gives a lovely delicate flavor too. The hot soup seems to release the flavor molecules or something. Anyway you get flavor without cooking it in. 

The Thai basil you've often seen over the winter on my soup is just now starting again from my saved seeds, and when that's advanced enough I'll use it. I grow it as an annual.

The kitchen smelled like America's test kitchen! All good stuff going.

In less happy food news I opened the latest package of the English breakfast tea that I've been drinking and enjoying for years, same company, same high price. Name redacted because they have deeper pockets and more lawyers than I.

I noticed the packaging had changed but attached no importance to it. Then when I opened it and took a sniff expecting the usual lovely scent, I was surprised. Hardly any. I made a pot as usual, same amount, pot, everything. It tasted of nothing. 

So I got an immediate refund. I'd got it through Amazon, yes, I know, but I rarely do use Amazon, and for once was glad. They instantly processed the refund, instructed me not to return the two large bags, maybe foodstuff related, maybe Covid, and I was done. No need to contact the tea company.

Wanting to be fair, I went to the tea folks website to explain and see what's up. Their customer service asks you to email, because they're now remote. Fine. I went there. And the email is disabled. Nothing daunted, I went to their Twitter account to message them privately. And found their DMs are disabled.  

I don't want to go nuclear and put out a public tweet, so I'm leaving it there. I'm done. I wonder if they've changed hands. The quality drop won't get them far with people who like tea enough to buy high end leaves, no matter how fancy the packaging.

Meanwhile I went to Reluctant Trading and I'm going to get a bit of chai mix to see if that works for me as a change from English breakfast. I've tried other companies' English breakfast tea, and it didn't compare, so maybe a change will be good.

I've been given chai by Indian friends and it was like drinking hot candy. But I wonder if I can make my own without sugar, since I don't like sugar in any hot drink other than chocolate. We'll see. I'll report back when it arrives. No rush.


16 comments:

  1. I picked rhubarb yesterday and made jam which the grandkids love. But I enjoyed some with yoghurt too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I support home made jam. It's the best flavor.

      Delete
  2. I'm flattered you took my suggestion! I hope the jam turns out and is yummy! "The Kitchen Front" intrigues me, so I've made a note of it. There was a TV series on the CBC called "Back in Time for Dinner" (based on a BBC series of the same name, I believe) where a modern family was put "back in time" to cook, eat and live like various 20th century eras. The first episode was the 1940s, with rationing and all sorts of organ meat to eat because good meat went to the troops. It was very eye-opening. My last comment is on tea -- my favourite chai tea is made by Stash tea company. It is flavourful, spicy and not overly-sweet (which I agree, many brands are).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tea tip. I'll note it. Snd it was fun making the jam. I mentioned it to my neighbors and they're hoping it turns out well, too, then they'll get to sample it.

      Delete
    2. A friend of mine was in charge of the recipes in that show!

      Delete
  3. Sorry about your tea. You know if a company does not give you any way to contact them then I always wonder about it's quality. You certainly gave it a good try though. I bet that jam is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those roadblocks made me wonder, too. I don't remember they were this evasive in the past.

      Delete
  4. I'm trying to imagine the flavour of ginger and strawberry and can't see why it wouldn't be really good. Will await a full report after there's been a taste testing session. Too bad about your tea - no doubt the company has changed hands or, if not that, are 'enjoying' cost cutting measures and cutting down in the tasty part of the tea. Either way it's disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomorrow is the jam reveal!
      I wonder if the company hasn't grasped that it's not good business to pass off inferior tea on choosy people.

      Delete
  5. So sorry about your tea. What a huge disappointment.
    I think your jam will be spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprisingly disappointing about the tea. I must have relied on it more than I realized. The jam is okay, tastes fine, not as gelled as I'd like but it'll do.
      ss

      Delete
  6. No strawberries here yet, too early and too cold, but when they arrive I shall be making strawberry jam. Strawberries are in my blood..... my dad made a living growing strawberries. Not going to add ginger though, although I did just make some pots of rhubarb and ginger jam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And another thing.... I have observed that inside every fancy Royal Comemmorative tin of supposedly fancy tea, is poor quality rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're buying the tin! My tea used to come in a simple brown, foil lined bag, no fuss, just great tea. Now, fancy bag, tea not so much.

      Delete
  8. Ginger and strawberry jam sounds like a wondeful combination of flavors. I forget how good and versatile ginger is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's terrific. Thanks to Debra for suggesting it. I hadn't thought of that before.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!