Friday, May 28, 2021

Ficus pushed ahead of schedule, emergency gardening

I've been wondering when to get the ficus tree out to the patio for her annual season at camp.  She needs to be tethered to avoid being blown over, because top heavy, houseplant, not outdoor pruned, and the fence, the usual support, is to go away soon.

Then today while I was watering, I realized we had an emergency plant situation. The whole pot was infested with tiny insects, ready to move on to the other plants.

So Ficus was hauled outside hastily, and stood on the deck while I ran for twine. Before I'd got back less than a minute later, she'd blown over.  Here she is, upright again,  resting against the wall

Then I was wondering what to tether her to. I decided on the faucet, pretty sturdy. And there she is. 

Full sun was not my choice but no other way to secure her. We're getting cooler weather and  rain starting today, so I guess this timing was just as well. She's under the roof overhang so she won't get much rain. 

And she needs to be moved to stand on earth soon, so that her roots can sink in and get nutrition. Also she doesn't blow over so much when she's rooted.

The rest of the plants are quite happy to take up the space. You can just see her outside, at the right end of the window.


Blessed silence from the 17year cicadas, probably weather related. For the benefit of readers unfamiliar with this particular cicada, there are different kinds of cicadas, I checked decibel levels. 

The CDC warns that more than a few minutes exposure higher than 85 dbs is hazardous to hearing. 

Chain saw 110, lawn mower 85-100, 17 year cicadas 90.  And they hatch in millions.

Summer crickets make a comparable sound, but we don't get them in millions. And the sound is not incessant. A few friendly crickets around the house don't compare. I rest my case!

The 17 years are beautiful, not harmful usually, don't sting nor bite. But they are a hearing hazard.  And I changed my walk to avoid the trees where they're plentiful for a few days.

I wore my Mitered Squares jacket to the library today, chilly enough,  in the hope of seeing knitter librarian friends, but no luck. They may have taken the day to lengthen the holiday weekend. Memorial Day in the US. 

Also the start of summer, pools open, shore in season. For me, arranging the deck for reading outside. And changing the red felt winter door curtain for the stripey canvas one. Not a big commitment.

Next time Handsome Son is over, he'll help with that. Also finally deliver my mother's day card. We both forgot to observe the day, what with dryers and ultrasounds.  It lost its place on the list!


11 comments:

  1. Keep an eye on the rest of your plants- it would be unusual for the insects to be contained on one plant. As you probably know.
    Ficus looks happy outside though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The others look fine. As of now.. that's why I hustled Ficus out so fast.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure Ms. Ficus will enjoy her time outdoors although you wouldn't want to be putting her outside if you lived here today. I knew the cicadas were loud but not to that degree - interesting info, thank you. Now I wonder if we'll have them here. I can't remember their previous cycle so perhaps they don't come this far north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know their range, but they certainly sound like the background for an old movie about Brits exiled to jungle habitats.

      Delete
  3. I hope the ficus bugs are gone.
    I'm not sure if Vermont has cicadas. I'll have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they might be a nest of ants. They've all vanished from the house now the ficus is out. And I've sprayed with vinegar and lemon juice, evidently finishing off the escapees.

      Delete
  4. Poor ficus! I hope that infestation clears up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, those 17 years buggers were hard on the ears. Ours went on for about six weeks. Or more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Years ago when I first noticed that had tinnitus, I thought I was hearing cicadas. It just now occurs to me that I think I might have developed the tinnitus about the time the last 17 year cicadas were around. That's a rough guess, and it's not to suggest the cicadas damaged my ears, but this all just struck me, and I find it kind of funny (meaning quirky - tinnitus isn't funny at all). My tinnitus has changed its sound over the years, but focusing in on it right now, I'm realizing it sounds like cicadas again! Which were rminds me... Hubs and I were out the other day and I said, "Hear the cicadas?" He said, "No". I thought he must be deaf! Now I'm wondering if it was all in my head - literally. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had tinnitus for many years, mainly a hissing sound, and it's no fun. There's no silence anywhere!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!