Saturday, October 17, 2020

Saturday stream of consciousness

 This is how I start my Saturdays, with this lovely work

"Interior" by Brynhild Parker of the East London Group.

Courtesy of the East London Group Twitter account. They exhibit, document and preserve the paintings and their significance. You can learn more at Wikipedia.

 The ELG  were working class people in the East end of London, in the 1920s and 30s, who studied art after working hours, were hugely talented and developed a following. Walter sickert was one of their teachers, and some of the members made it to the Slade. A working class artist myself, I really love this group. They struggled to buy materials, some became illustrators and created commercial posters for big companies. They worked in various media, and Steggles' watercolors are just enviable. Their work documents their surroundings, many street scenes of places now gone, their occasional travels. 


The ELG account shows work daily, with a repeating work on Saturdays and another one on Sundays


This is what you can get from Twitter if you curate your timeline to suit yourself. Mine is full of art, history, medieval manuscripts, farms, pets, writers, comedians. Some political writers, some local police and library news. Like a lot of things, it's what you make it.

It also has good news, as in today's report of a kindergartner finding the lemur, stolen from the San Francisco zoo. There's video of him and his Mom crossing the street after school, suddenly seeing it and leaping around, getting the other kids to see.

Mom called police and animal  control, and the lemur was quickly found in a backyard playhouse, fed and taken home to his habitat. Smart five year old knew it wasn't just a funny looking cat. Police have also found and charged the man who broke into the lemur's habitat and stole him. The finder's family now has lifetime free passes to the zoo, and the school accepted the $$ reward.

In other news, as they say,  I have this full spectrum light on order, doctor recommended, which I'm going to use to try to avoid my December crash. I'm hopeful.


It was a friend's doctor who said this is the best at the moment, and since the maker's instructions are vague, I took notes of how to use it


Green soup, powerhouse soup, today. Broccoli, scallions, celery, carrot greens, pesto water from lemon balm pesto, red potatoes, garlic, onions. Old Bay seasoning. Good for a few days.







If I were serving this to guests, I'd do a little drawing on each bowl in cream. 


Very high end. But I have no guests and no cream. So I'll just eat it and like it.

Last note on high tech things: there's an international archaeology conference underway, and they now find their software is banning the word bone. Bit difficult to discuss important findings without mentioning it. Somebody never thought to add it to the whitelist, I guess, never dreaming it would be redflagged.

Years ago when this kind of software blocking was new, one of our unlamented NJ politicians, whose name will be partly withheld, called a press conference to show how up-to-date he was with protecting everyone's children from Awful Words. Which they probably hear all the time, but anyway.

So he has the computer fired up, press assembled, and he goes to unveil his website. Which wouldn't open. Flusterment ensues. Then one of the techies said, um, Sen. Z, your name is stopping it. Name was  Dick. Gleeful reporting happened.

14 comments:

  1. This is our soup making time of year as well. I love making enough for a few days. It makes other meals such an easy fix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an engaged and busy woman who has so many talents and interests. You never cease to amaze me.
    And yes, that last story was wonderful. Sometimes technology does indeed have the last word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one was particularly good, since he was an unpopular guy. Karma.

      Delete
  3. LOL!
    Many Thank yous for giving me reason to hear myself laugh aloud.
    The light looks interesting. I have similar one bookmarked. Reading the reviews, I gather they can small. Next store visit, I will have a look. Small or not, therapy lamps work, and I need one as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. They used to be like a three part screen hou sat in. But I think theyve found they're effective smaller, too. And you don't stare at them. You can just be close enough for long enough, reading, at the computer, for me probably stitching. Anyway the idea is to start soon, so as to be prepared ahead.

      Delete
  4. usually your efforts in the kitchen look lovely but I have to say this soup may taste wonderful but from the looks of it I wouldn't try it. my loss I'm sure. maybe it's just a bad picture.

    I read that about the archeology conference. there were a couple of other words too that were banned that were just as b ig a head scratcher. but bone? what were they thinking? boner, OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on the soup. It tastes wonderful. That's why I said I'd do a little drawing on it for guests. That would look quite elegant. Sometimes I omit a picture if the food doesn't look appetizing, however good it tastes.

      Delete
  5. So I've replaced the pot of soup with a serving. This might work better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I love the Dick story!
    And yes, it is soup season, I made some creamy butternut squash soup with garlic and ginger and onions. all gone now, it was exceptionally tasty. Will be making that again.
    And the painting of the window view is delightful, wish I could paint like that. But sadly I seem to have lost the impetus to paint during this pandemic thingy... maybe I just need some encouragement and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of us wish we could paint like her! She's world renowned for her genre work. I particularly love the atmosphere around this one, even just on a screen.

      Delete
  7. oh meant to mention, if you have Netflix please watch a documentary movie called My Octopus Teacher.... it should not be missed! Let me know if you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any subscriptions, audio or video. Not in my budget. But I may find another way to see it. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. I've never managed to succumb to the 'delights' of Twitter or Instagram and I don't miss them (at least I don't think I do, because I really don't know what there is to miss!).
    On another note, I'm going to be most interested in hearing what the verdict is on that light. I've been toying with getting one because I know winter is not good for my mental state. This year I've gone back on my Vitamin D/ 5 HTP regimen because I suspect the double whammy of dealing with Covid/winter/lack of light might be enough to send me back down into the black hole. We'll see. If I find the D/HTP isn't doing it the light might be the next step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see how it goes, and report back events. I imagine it takes a while to know if it's helping.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!