Saturday, October 24, 2020

A little something in progress

Making a fruit crumble, first in ages, in anticipation of a visit from Handsome Son, bearing groceries tomorrow.

The granny smith apples that came yesterday, peaches and plums from earlier Misfit boxes, all included.


I did Rose Levy Birnbaum's maceration. Then tossed the fruit in cornstarch, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon, and added a pinch of amchur.  Did a reduction of the liquid I'd drained off the fruit, and poured the resulting syrup over the fruit in the dish.


I was introduced to amchur by, and,  in fact, my supply came from, an Indian friend and great cook. It's dried mango powder, very citrusy, and I'm trying it here.

I'll let you know how it goes. You need to observe the usual precautions if there's any chance of allergies to mango. In my fortunate world, no. I've used it with berries, very good. 

Tinfoil hat at the ready. 

I changed the crumble topping a bit, part ground oats, part ground almonds, part whole-wheat flour. The coffee grinder came onstage. Added cinnamon, pinch of salt, melted butter, sugar, molasses.

I still have some of that caster sugar I ground up, so maybe I'll sprinkle it on the finished crumble, after I see if the amchur would make it a good idea.


Here's the result. It smells wonderful, even if I say it myself. When it cools I'll sample it. 

My story is that this isn't dessert. It's got oats and nuts and fruit, clearly it's breakfast. Around here, anyway.

8 comments:

  1. Definitely breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner.
    I must, MUST find some amjur. I believe I've been missing it my whole life and just didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'd like it. It goes with a lot of food that needs brightening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good any time of the day. Looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly for breakfast. As I have my main meal at noon, it would be a perfect dinner also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YuM!! breakfast, without a doubt!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, most definitely breakfast (and lunch....and mid-afternoon snack....). I love mango so I'd be more than happy to taste-test this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!