Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Reading Roundup and date nut official trials

 Quite a bit of my reading these days is electronic, what with the bother of having to make appointments to pick up physical books, and then driving a fair distance to pick up, just lazy, me.

So, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell is back off my Kindle and at the library again. I already borrowed and renewed twice and I'm still only halfway through.

 I'll have to try again when I get to the top of the waitlist again. Can't renew when others are waiting. This book is good, but long enough it feels like a part time job.


Meanwhile, The Gown, Jennifer Robson, thank you, Dogonart, was very good. It's a really well written, easy read, taking in post ww2 britain, embroidery for Princess elizabeth's wedding dress, with forays into Toronto, some streets I knew, having been there, occupied France, sad reflections on Jewish suffering, all woven together very well. A bit of a quest and a mystery, too. Plenty of triumph. A couple of unlikely scenarios, but even if unlikely, they're things that ought to happen, so there! The history and social life are very well researched, I do like accuracy. I read this as an ebook.

And The Amateur Marriage,an Anne Tyler from quite a while ago, is as engrossing as she always is, based, as often,  in Baltimore with a bit of California thrown in, and a three generation saga.  The characters are never confusing even though we end up with many of them,  very well written. Audiobook, well performed.

And I continue with the audiobook Spoils of Poynton, a long, leisurely Henry James, unfolding slowly and you have to slow down to match the pace. Worth it. One of the classics I'm catching up on. Since I read print at warp speed, it's good to be slowed down to really appreciate the writing. 

Speaking of slowing down, that date nut bread has definitely improved with sitting. I made labneh for a spread, to be authentic, since it used to be a New York favorite with cream cheese. 


The tartness of the labneh is really good against the sweetness of the dates.

Still not sure all the prep was worth it, nearly as much fuss as a Christmas fruit cake. It did however use the little container of good leftover coffee I'd frozen a while back thinking there would probably eventually be a cake to use this in. I found the container when I did the Freezer Winnowing. So there's that.

If you have books to recommend, please do! Always open to suggestions.

14 comments:

  1. I’ve read a number of Canadian authors recently. Your date nut bread sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you recommend any names? That would be great.

      Delete
  2. Just finished Amor Towles "A Gentleman In Moscow". Fabulous as an audiobook - superbly narrated.

    Glad the date nut bread improved with age, and labneh.

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that in print, and made it halfway. Maybe audio would be better. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  3. Have you read The Salt Path? Can't remember. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, in fact the title's new to me, thank you.

      Delete
  4. Making labneh might gain popularity this winter as folks look to make different things at home. Straining cottage cheese is on my list to make flavored cheeses. Now I have yogurt to strain and flavor! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitchen adventures are great in winter. Good for you.

      Delete
  5. I am recommending "Girl, Woman, Other" by Bernardine Evaristo.... British author. Won the Booker Award with Margaret Atwoog last year.
    Just noticed the comment above about Gentleman in Moscow. I could not get into that book, got 1/3 the way through and had to give up, horrible.
    I publish a list of the books I read the previous year every Jan 1.... listed under tag Books at the side panel of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reminder. I remember her, and there was a lot of question about why a WOC was forced to share the prize with someone who needs no more awards. I really think the Booker should be a one per customer deal. Anyway, thank you, I'll look for it.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the review of 'The Gown' - my friend loaned it to me and I was struggling with whether to bother reading it. Now I will. And...for a suggestion (I may have told you this before)...highly recommend 'Where The Crawdads Sing'. I read it in book form so can't hazard a guess on the narrated version (if there even is one).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that with my Tiny Book Group, two, sometimes three people emailing! We had a great discussion about it.

      Do try The Gown and let us know if you like it.

      Delete
  7. I do book reviews every 3 months. next one will be end of November. last one was end of August. I've read some Anne Tyler I think but then again, maybe not since I just scrolled through her book titles. the date nut bread sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look out for your reviews, thank you. Anne Tyler is worth a look, and she's written a lot to choose from. Baltimore features as a character in her work.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!