Friday, October 30, 2020

Friday, I think, plans

 

Today, for the first time, I took advantage of a senior hour, where only seniors can come and play. No, not to the shops, they're doing it at some unearthly hour I can't possibly get my eyes open for, this owl says.  But the library, where the hour starts at the ten o'clock opening.  I was picking up books and a movie about which more anon.

Librarians overjoyed to see actual face to face people, even though there were maybe two patrons there at the time, very much outnumbered by library staff.  One was stationed at the door to make sure people were masked correctly, and to count comings and goings, to have no more than 25 at a time. Which I'm told hasn't happened, or anywhere near it.

Nice chat with librarian friend who runs the knitting group, and is currently not only working at the library, but, as a county employee, also working on the electoral system, alphabetizing voting certificates.  They have lent staff, paying them as usual, to fill up the gap left by the older people who can't do what they've been doing for many years, too risky. Evidently all county employees can be called on, and the election people are particularly happy when they get library staff who know all about orderly handling of documents and organizing and alphabetizing, this year especially being heavy demand, because most votes are on paper.

And this is why I went


The Boy in the Field I know nothing about, but a writer on Book Passage recommended it, so I thought why not.  The Salt Path is Mary M's recommendation, and I'm going to embark on it this weekend.

And Best in Show is Christopher Guest, seen it before and it's well worth another run.  Well, anything by Christopher Guest is.  He's wonderful, the kind of satire doc that some people think is a real documentary and get all flustered about.  This one is about the world of dog breeding and showing, and I've been to enough shows and known enough breeders and showers over the years to absolutely get these characters and their hermetic but unknowingly funny, world.

Which reminds me to see Princess Bride again soon, another Guest brilliant one.

So this is my Saturday movie.  All set.

If you're interested in my adventures with the therapy lamp, I've been using it for nearly a week and notice that I'm sleeping much better, starting a bit earlier, like 11 instead of midnight, calm dreams.  Whether it's connected I don't know, but certainly nothing bad has happened to me.

I did do an online quiz  created by eye doctor people to determine what would be the best time of day for a person like me to do the half hour light session.  I'm a Moderate Evening type they tell me.  And they recommended trying to do it about 7 a.m.  Hm. Not happening. 8.30 is as early as I can do this, complete with tea, and eyes more or less open.

You're supposed to have your eyes open for the maximum effect on the pineal gland, which is the little seat of power in the brain over your circadian rhythm.  It's working away affecting us all the time and a lot of us don't even know we have one. So I'm hoping to fend off the down mood that usually happens with November and December and starts to improve in February.

I had a bowl of that Green Powerhouse Soup just now, and I think the baharat is excellent with the cabbage content.  It just works a nice balance.  So I must note that somewhere, not that I write down any of these soups, just mess about making them.

Enjoy your, wait, checking again, oh, yes, Friday!

7 comments:

  1. I had a plan for the first still day and today was it. burn the burn pile which I did all day long as I kept adding to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in the day before the law changed, I used to love a good burning fire, to clean up all the heaps of dead foliage. Then it was outlawed, no burning other than the controlled burns in the Pine Barrens, large forested area.

      Delete
  2. It is good to have something that is helping with sleep. I am sleeping better recently which is new for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think the cycling has anything to do with it? You're getting wonderful exercise and air.

      Delete
  3. I tend to plan out my day when I first wake up - around 6am. Works pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interested to know what you think about The Salt Path. Joanne, of Cup on the Bus was the one I heard about it from originally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so gripping I couldn't stop till a few minutes ago when I finished it. What an amazing spiritual as well as physical journey. And how she developed into such a writer. She doesn't talk about making notes as they went, but she must have, to have all the details in place. I really thank you for mentioning it, since I'd never heard of her. Or of that walking path.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!