Friday, October 23, 2020

Misfits, prepping, books

 My misfits box arrived today, the first time it's been on time. Usual nice quality.

Top layer


Next layer


Everyone takes a bath


And the current state of play: beet, steamed, cooked, diced, now in pickling liquid in the fridge. Bags of leek greens, leek whites, quartered cabbage, quartered onion, in the freezer.  Bowl of carrots, peeled, diced in fridge ready for carrot cashew soup. Granny smith apples waiting to go in a crumble tomorrow with peaches and plums. Frisee and grape tomatoes ready to be a salad tonight.

Now I need to see what cabbage can do aside from coleslaw which I don't like. I think caraway seeds go with it. I tasted it, very tender and sweet.

Woman cannot live by veggies alone. She needs books. So I've listed the books recommended lately for your saving and reading pleasure. Some are from emails from readers who don't comment in here, so I thought I'd share.

Becoming, Michelle Obama

Little fires everywhere, Celeste Ng

Caste, Isabel Wilkerson

The Color of Law, Rothstein

How to be an Anti-Racist, Ibrahim X. Kendi

The salt Path, Raynor Winn

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Lisa See

A Gentleman in Moscow, Amor Towles

I have read and loved Snow Flower, and have Salt Path requested. Have I missed any recommended in here? 

On the subject of books and great opportunities on Kindle, since I like plenty of emergency reading on Kindle in case of WiFi outage, I got a great deal: the whole canon of EFBenson for 99cents. And a collection of Agatha christie including a couple I haven't read, amazingly, for I think $2.99. 

So Amazon's good for something. And nobody has to run about loading and delivering. It's already on my Kindle, which is the original model, from when there was only the one. People sometimes ask which Kindle! It's like asking what color Model T Ford.


10 comments:

  1. Anytime you want to share a pic of your Misfit produce, I will enjoy seeing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you. I was in two minds, not wanting to get repetitious, but maybe it's okay.

      Delete
  2. Your misfit produce would fit nicely in my world. And refrigerator.
    I think you'll enjoy "The Salt Path."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to whenever it gets here. Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
  3. Your Misfits box looks good. Looks like a lot though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's basically three meals a day for two weeks. At this point it's about right. But if I have to reduce the number of deliveries I can.

      Delete
  4. Ditto on appreciating the photos of the Misfits. Congratulations on an extremely productive day, with all that prepping. We love chopped cabbage, grated carrot, chopped apple, all tossed with a little orange juice, with raisins and nuts. And maybe some yogurt and anise...

    One note on the book list (which, thank you for): apparently A Gentleman in Moscow is far better by audio than in print. Judging by responses to my initial comment. :-)

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like seeing the great misfits you get so please continue to share.
    Re the book list - the only one I've read is 'Becoming' - loved it. I recently read 'Letters to Obama' and found it fascinating.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!