Saturday, October 3, 2020

Plum tart/torte happened

I had zero intention of baking today, then Handsome Son decided to visit after work tomorrow. Nothing desserty in the house.

So Marian Burros' plum thing happened. Depending on where you see it, a tart or a torte. It's a cake with crisp edges anyway.



You can Google this recipe, to get the information about the springform pan. I don't have one. Any baking dish works. The plums are Misfit Market ones, great flavor, not very sweet. Right for this dish.

I used a castiron skillet, as usual putting it, oiled and buttered, into the oven as it heated. This is how you get that crisp edge, by putting the dough into a pan that's already the same heat as the oven.

I slipped a bit with the cinnamon but nevermind. She uses AP flour, I used whole-wheat.  Lemon juice, sprinkle of that caster sugar I ground a while back.


Here you see the muffin tin acting as a cooling rack. This pan is too heavy for the wire rack.

Good. Cook's privilege, first piece. There were no plums to be had last year, so it's two years since we had this. I think Handsome Son will enjoy.


10 comments:

  1. Sometimes baking...just...happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One minute I was idly thinking about it and glad I'd thawed the plums. Next I was mixing and buttering the pan and into it. Very tired today, but somehow active.

      Delete
  2. It looks great. I am nervous to switch from white to whole wheat flour in a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will change the texture. This would be more cake like using ap. But the nuttier flavor of the whole wheat is really good with the plums. If you try it you'll see if it suits your taste. If not, there will be happy squirrels on your trail walk.

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious. Thank you for the tip heating the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. somehow I did not equate a tart or a torte with cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's a tart even though she called it that. To me a tart has a pastry crust. I don't know much about tortes.

      Delete
  5. We weren't able to get plums this year because there didn't seem to be any in the store unless you were willing to buy a precious few for top dollar. Certainly none in any quantity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year I literally couldn't find any. Usually I've been able to get prune plums in August, great for this recipe. This plums are different but still worked ok.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!