Sunday, October 18, 2020

Last flowers, cricket, abdication

 Yesterday I picked what might be the last of this year's flowers while they're still blooming. Russian sage and Montauk daisies


Then a cricket match broke out behind the house! The parents brought out chairs to watch the kids. One or two can really bowl and hit, the rest just have fun trying. I was offered a seat but didn't stay, a little chilly for me.

 Cricket is big in the Indian community, followed avidly. Before our Indian neighbors arrived it was mainly older West Indian men from the Islands, with fabulous old cricket pads and bats and wickets, playing in the park.




Later there was a little excitement when I tried to combine bottle and can recycling with picking up mail, both being close together, and ended up dropping an important mail notice into the recycle bin. This is chest high on me, no way to reach in. So I went home for a pair of tongs, had to precariously tip the bin nearly over me, and retrieved the mail. Nobody watching, I'm glad to say. Definitely no pictures.

The Saturday evening movie was David and Wallis, I think that's the title, about Edward VIII and the abdication. I was really in it for the hats and jewels and interiors. And the views

Wallis and her Aunt Bessie, Marjorie Margolyes

The queen, Margaret Tyzack, curtsying to her son, David, the new King, right after her husband, the old King, died. Monarchy thrives on theater.

The Prime Minister, Baldwin, showing Parliament the signed abdication document. More theater.

The interiors were great, the story pretty familiar. After all they went through, and the upheaval they caused, they were stuck together for life, and I sometimes wonder if they regretted it. They were a terrible nuisance during the war, prancing about with Hitler, creating diplomatic messes, having to be rescued from various escapades.

 I think they, along with quite a few anti-Semitic English aristos, were hoping Hitler would win, assuming they would continue with their privileged life, Jews gone, with the Windsors on the throne. Nasty scenario, and dubious thinking.

Churchill positioned himself as a champion of Edward, (David in the family, very confusing), and I suspect it was a crafty move in case he ever did get the throne under Hitler. Churchill was not an unvarnished hero, but don't get me started!

Anyway I recommend this movie for great couture and scenery! 

11 comments:

  1. yup ... mucky lot. You might beinterested in the book "the gown". Princess Liz wedding gown. embroidery details fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'll check it. I remember it was covered in all sorts of symbols. But I haven't seen much beyond that.

      Delete
  2. You inspired me to have a Saturday movie night, but I forgot all about it. It was supposed to be in the afternoon, Notorious with Ingrid Bergman on a DVD as I can't watch movies well on my slow internet. I would have enjoyed the one you watched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can picture you trying to retrieve your mail. Glad you didn’t fall in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I. At one point it was a near thing.

      Delete
  4. Don't you just hate it when you do something like dropping that mail in the bin and realize what you've done? I utter long strings of curses. Of course.
    Love the cricket match story! How nice to have neighbors who get together for things like that.
    And why is the English monarchy so endlessly fascinating? I just can't help but be interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky it wasn't my keys, that I'd just used to open the mailbox! The indian community has a festival this weekend, and I wondered if it was part of the general festivities, all pared back these days.

      For me, and royalty, it's the fascinators, those silly little hat things!

      Delete
  5. Good that you were able to retrieve your important mail and even better that there were no pictures showing up on facebook!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness, I can just imagine the spectacle of you attempting to rescue the mail! As for the cricket match, how lovely that they invited you to enjoy the fame along with them. Your neighbourhood should be held up as a shining example of inclusion...proof that racism does not have to exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lovely mix of races, ages, incomes, origins. It's always been a friendly place that way. To my Indian neighbors in the Auntie! Respectful term for older woman, if you don't know her name.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!