Thursday, October 8, 2020

Addendum to the wildflower question, also soup

 I went out to check again on the foliage and found that the alternating leaf growth wasn't the flower, it was the plant growing next to it. Which I haven't identified. No flowers that I can see. Explaining my confusion. Foliage from one plant, flowers from another doesn't lead to good id.

However when I got a better look at the mystery plant, it began to look a whole lot more like cow parsley, wild chervil. The leaves and flowers radiate from the same spot, off the sides of the main stem. They're not as abundant as in the official pictures, but I think I'm nearer this time. 


Not the plant, the plant next to the plant, if you follow me



Right plant,  trying to show the leaf growth better, not very successfully


Meanwhile back at the stove, carrot, tomato, cashew and ginger soup is waiting for me.


With whole-wheat, white, oat bread. 





9 comments:

  1. I just used my Picture This plant ID which I LOVE on your pictures. The white flowered one may be white snakeroot, the other one may be oriental bittersweet. Quite invasive, if it is.
    This app cost 30 bucks a year but so far, I am thinking it is well worth it. Far better than any of the others I've tried. And fast!
    We're going to have squash soup for supper tonight and sourdough white and oat bread which is rising nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds as if we're in tune on the soup and bread.
      Yes almost certainly the "wrong* plant is the pesky bittersweet. No flowers on this one, though the foliage did look familiar. It's everywhere in this stretch of trees and shrubs.

      I must look up the snakeroot, thank you.

      Delete
  2. it looks similar to wild ageratum which we get here, dominant color is blue/purple, also called mistflower but there is a white variety which shows up rarer. that's probably not what it is though as the flowers don't look quite fuzzy enough but the foliage looks about right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out white snakeroot,and the pictures look pretty much like the plants I'm seeing. It's everywhere around here, all white.

      Delete
  3. I am terrible at plant Id. I joined a provincial Facebook group that has helped a lot. The soup looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. As long as there's soup in the house and bread, I feel well fed.

      Delete
  4. Plant Ids are easier with cameras. Took me a bit to figure out that's your shoe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! I never noticed I'd got a shoe into the picture. Shoeus Canvassus Anericanus. Here seen in white, but can be found in other colors.

      Delete
  5. Squash soup's on the menu for lunch I think, along with a nice chunk of homemade sourdough bread.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!