Sunday, October 30, 2022

Fungus update, soup and paying respects

Another check on the chicken of the woods shows it's a bit past its prime, but definitely has a texture like chicken breast.


But I'm not biting.

Still flowers holding on



And the rabbit still guarding his territory


No mast at all this year, acorns, black walnuts, nothing. I wonder if the heatwave is the reason.

While I was scrabbling about searching for beechnuts among huge fallen leaves, bigger this year


I found a mysterious coin


I wondered if it was a long lost treasure, and once home set it against a new dime


Once cleaned with lemon juice and salt, it revealed itself as a 1970s copper dime, exciting. You can see the sandwich effect on the milling around the edge, copper core. Mounting excitement, checked on the value


So it seems that my thin dime is worth one thin dime. Ah.  Unless finding it in the woods constitutes the special circumstances they mention.

Then to lunch and the toaster oven, now in daily use. I found I had a small glass baking dish which will fit, and made parmesan potatoes. You need glass for this. Bed of shredded parm, roast the potatoes, let them sit five minutes, then break them apart and enjoy the best toasted cheese potatoes ever.



I also used up the frozen cherry tomatoes in soup with hot sausage and lentils.

Browned the sausage, hot Italian turkey sausage, with the onions and garlic



Then removed the sausage and continued. Added lentils too, then blended it, bit of milk to oppose the fairly acid flavor of the green tomatoes, then added the sausage back in
 

Sturdy, hearty, meal in a bowl soup.

While we're in the season, nearing Samhain


And respect, nearing the election, to people who do this in order to vote

The current audiobook is an old one I have somewhere in hardback, good old Margery Sharp, she of Cluny Brown


It's heavily abridged, leaving out some good parts and leaping ahead, with a rather poor reader, Hoopla cheaps out on audio buying. But, for now, not so bad.

And in book form, in case you were running out of Mma Ramotswe, there's a new one, quick and pleasant read.




This is why I waited for a pet free house to do puzzles, the current one being a whole lot more fun than the parrot in the jungle.

Happy day everyone, puzzle on. If your clocks just changed, try not to get confused. In the US we have the clock confusion yet to come.






18 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about making lentil soup and here you are, made lentil soup! I have jars of coins that belonged to my father. Some are very old but I haven't taken the time to go through them to see if any have value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coins need to be in mint condition, which most aren't after rattling around in pockets and jars for years! I miss the machine at the old supermarket which accepted coins and sorted them then gave a receipt to redeem at the checkout, minus a small fee. Worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ride To the Polls," was started by a Navajo woman, Allie Young. I missed seeing it in the major online news sources. and television.

    Oh the sausage in lentil soup is fantastic! It will be a winter favorite. The potatoes as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt if the right owned major media would cover anything of social and civic importance unless it benefited their stockholders. That's why people like bloggers and tweeters do their bit to boost the signal.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! I just remembered that I dreamed I was doing a jig saw puzzle! I have no table in real life big enough and not already in constant use to keep one going but in my dream, I did. So now you are even influencing my dreams, woman! That soup sounds amazing. And yet another Alexander McCall Smith! I swear he writes them in his sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I've dreamed several times that you've invited me to a family party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was walking on Hampstead Heath today and saw lots of mast here -- acorns and horse chestnuts, mainly. Weird that you don't have any. Maybe the squirrels have secreted it away?

    I was not aware that copper dimes were a thing. Or if I was I forgot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are mast and non mast years. Last year there were carpets of nuts and acorns, hard even to walk. This year nope.
      Dimes have changed in materials, where there's more or less copper to nickel. The dime I found is a bit lighter than a new one. There's usually a nickel coating so they always have a silver color.

      Delete
  7. Our clock change is the first week of November. I wouldn’t mind if that changing time was eliminated.

    We have municipal elections this week. We will vote in the advance polls.

    Freezing tomatoes is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ours is the same as yours. I always wish they'd just leave it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a newsy post! HRH was always very good about not lying on jigsaws in process or stealing pieces as cat toys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a hard choice between cat and puzzle but the cat will always win so my puzzling days are probably behind me unless I can find a cat proof room.
    Those spuds look delicious as does the soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  11. I've outlived my cats, and at this age any new pet, even if I could afford the vet care, would outlive me and need to be rehomed. Not fair. So it's puzzles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish I felt better, but I don't, do good night and see you t0morrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mm, those cheesy potatoes look good. And a new Precious! Wonderful, will have to look out for it. I'm also back into my jigsaws.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cats and puzzles certainly don't mix, not if we have any hope of having a complete puzzle in the end.
    Watching the news that's here about your election and it's downright upsetting. Can't imagine it from your perspective of being in the middle of it all.
    The time changes here tonight and I must admit I hate it. I don't see the need for it at this point in time. If I had my way I'd split the difference and change it by half an hour and leave it bloody well alone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do agree about the election and the time change, arghghg.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!