Thursday, October 13, 2022

Misfits, paneer, sock separation

 I didn't show you the recent Misfits box, so here it is, from last Saturday



You've already seen what became of the leeks, peppers and apples. But here's the over the top extravaganza Fall decorating being done by the pumpkin before becoming soup along with the acorn squash 

Too much, do you think?

And I was out of baked goods, so I thought I'd try cream cheese cookies. This involved making the cream cheese, aka paneer






You bring whole milk to the boil, add lemon juice, let it separate the milk into curds and whey, then scoop out and drain the whey. 

The resulting cream cheese is ready to use ss a spread or here an ingredient. I saved the whey for the pumpkin squash soup to come.

Then I got to make the cookies





And had one with a cup of tea. Very nice, rich, tangy, worth the effort. I need to make more paneer for a spread, since I used all the current output for the cookies. First time I'd used milk powder for paneer, and it worked fine. 

Meanwhile I'd been out walking while the cookie batter was chilling, and found someone had tossed out their cherry tomato vines, which were in the sun and the green tomatoes had ripened. 

I left some for the squirrels and birds, also I saw a groundhog hanging out, so he might like some, and brought home a few


Another neighbor has been redoing his patio, removing blocks and edging and making accidental art


It's a cityscape!

Then for the separation of the conjoined socks, which went successfully, patients both doing fine.

Remember the different colored knitted rows across the middle of the project? That's scrap yarn, to be removed like this


This leaves the two parts separate, and you see the green yarn running along both edges


Those are lifelines, running through the live stitches, holding them so they can't unravel. You slip your needles into the stitches to continue knitting. Later you pull out the lifelines and you can't tell where they were.



Now to knit a second toe. Then a second cuff.

Now all that's needed is heels for both



This involves sliding out the  lifeline yarns across the middle there,  and putting the live stitches on the needles. 

The lifeline goes halfway across the sock, same half as the toe lifeline, see right sock, to make sure the heel is in the right place in relation to the toe. 

So heels will happen today. They're starting to look like socks now. I'll be wearing them soon.

There, your questions answered. I think.

You did get the rabbit typo for rabbi joke then? A lot of people automatically read it as rabbi because of the association and can't see the joke!

And leaving you with this truth


Happy day everyone, make your art regardless, smash the patriarchy. I've voted, I make my own food and clothes,  I'm powerful, hear me roar!!





15 comments:

  1. I'm glad the conjoined socks operation went well, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra is right in her analogy- conjoined sock separation operation! Love it!
    I've never made cream cheese. Hmmm...
    I love that you were able to "gather" some tomatoes. Waste not, want not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years since I bought cream cheese. I like to know what's in my food! And you can flavor it or decorate with edible flowers if you want to get fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For attentive readers, did you notice a hilarious small example just now of the second mouse gets the cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know your cream cheese as ricotta. That's exactly how I make it! One person's paneer is another's ricotta. :)

    Those cookies look good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will try making paneer. We already use powdered milk for yogurt. If you mix the milk 1.5x strength, it makes a wonderfully thick yogurt without straining. How much lemon juice do you add to your milk for the paneer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't measure the lemon juice, probably a couple of tablespoons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always had an aversion to powdered milk having grown up on the stuff. I guess I should shelve my prejudices and try using it in recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I’d manage socks the traditional way but not this way. Brilliant really!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It occurs to me that you could extend this idea and make a very long sock with the separation parts sections built in and the lifelines for toes and heels. You could make a couple of pairs in one tube. Or more. Could be an endless sock...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make us remember the things we learned and have not used in years. Thanks for the life lines and the paneer cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm laughing at your over-the-top autumn decorating scheme. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a polymath of useful skills (along with you helpful hints). We liked your decorating 😸😎🎃

    ReplyDelete
  14. Resident Chef makes cheese (sometimes quite accidentally!) from his homemade kefir and then we use it in any recipe that calls for either cream cheese, sour cream or yogurt. He adds herbs to it and comes up with a really good knockoff for the expensive Boursin cheese.
    Rather a brilliant way to make socks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!