Friday, October 7, 2022

Voting despite the PO, last flowers

Yesterday the mail was mixed. Most important, my mail in ballot for the midterm elections finally arrived 


This was some sort of record, mailed from about fifteen miles away, the County Board of Elections, on September 21, arrived October 6. Good thing they send early. I'll fill it out and return promptly.  Not by mail, but in the local dropbox. It's emptied daily by the officials and the ballots taken to the BOE.  

The less welcome mail was a bill for $1,000 that is not a typo, from the HOA for work the fencing company claims to have done on my deck in order to put in the fence.

I wrote back instantly to tell them I had the work done by a contractor, weeks before the fencing company were on site,  and notified him, too. 

What I didn't mention was that their bill was three times the size of his. Anyway I asked the manager to rescind the bill. Clearly they've got their house numbers mixed because they did do work on other decks.

But I have pictures of Michael in action in the deck and you are my witnesses! Anyway I was very upset and still am.  The fence project is the gift that keeps on giving.

Meanwhile flowers are still happening, the last ones of the year before we get a frost


And the current jigsaw puzzle may have pieces missing. Or maybe I'm inept. Anyway it's become a small meditative project, little spark of excitement when I actually get a piece to fit. I may need an assistant

I am pretty good at knocking pieces to the floor even without a tiger in the house, I have to say.

Answer to the puzzle, you'll kick yourself if you didn't get it, is in the comments to yesterday's post. Word puzzles are like that, totally impenetrable until you suddenly get it, if you get it.

Happy day everyone, fight on, refuse to pay bills you didn't incur. That works in a lot of contexts!

Today writing a little something about my sister, and knitting group. This week I really need my knitting group. 



10 comments:

  1. To hell with writing back, I would have been on the phone immediately. I've never lived in a house in a neighborhood that had an HOA and that's by choice. I've heard too many horror stories including that they have the right to confiscate your home under certain conditions.

    I plan to vote early the day it starts or maybe the second day as the first day usually has a big turnout. Not that a big turnout takes more than a half hour at most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that bill seems like a genuine mistake but one wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those bills you didn't incur make the red fog come down at ours. F has spent 4 months fighting an electricity co that insists the meter readings for our unoccupied UK house are falsified and keep sending their 'correct estimates' to our Greek address.... They employ idiots, as does your management compsny. We hope you get it sorted without months of angry stress. Xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomorrow I'll blog the swift resolution. Ellen, the phone is not the answer when you might need a printable paper trail over a dispute. Brendan is a good manager, and a quick responder.

    But thank you all for support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the HOA should rescind that bill. Outrageous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were wise to take photos of the deck work! All of our wild blooms are gone since Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think you will have trouble setting that bill right. You have plenty of documentation.

    Where we vote is rural so no lines of people. We just go in. When we lived in St. Paul there were always lines. You have a good plan of action.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately Sandra, I have experience of situations like this wrong billing with another HOA where they refused to back down, despite the receipts, until a group of owners banded together, fired the management, hired a new one, and got it corrected. It can be a long tiring battle, depending on who's the manager. I this case, yes, likely quick resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One wonders if everyone got a bill regardless. Quick way to make $$

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word!! Fence that keeps on taking (not giving!).
    Voting in municipal elections will start on Friday here and we were somewhat surprised when our forms actually arrived in the mail AND were correct. That's a first since we moved here 12 years ago. Alas no voting in person locally and no advance polls either. We have to either vote by phone or on the internet. Not good for those either without the internet or have hearing issues (DH is included in that). Luckily he trusts me to vote on his behalf.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!