Friday, October 21, 2022

Spanish stew and two, count them, memorial plantings

Yesterday I tried a Spanish recipe from  Spain on a Fork, the YouTube channel, chickpea stew, which has a posh Spanish name, too.

I had to make stock first, using the clippings in the freezer, which included parsley stems, good because it was an ingredient which I didn't have.

It's an interesting series of steps, from toasting blanched almonds with garlic,  pounding to a paste,  grating tomatoes, here I used green ones from Gary,  not a quick recipe, more one where you enjoy the process.


Stock simmering, and almonds in boiling water ready to blanch 
Almonds and garlic with scallions sauteing 

Almonds, garlic, salt, basil, pounded together then tomatoes added then chickpeas 

Simmered for 25 minutes 

I had to sub a bit, scallions and fresh basil for parsley, green tomatoes for red, because it's what I had.

And it turned out so much more full of flavor than I'd expected, just great. Definitely to make again. Sprig of basil on top.


This recipe made three large bowls or more helpings if you're serving sides. In the absence of crusty bread to mop up all the liquid, I used a spoon.

Then I had the energy to do the snowdrop plantings, small but emotionally very taxing.

It turned into two memorials because I got an invitation to the memorial lunch for the friend who died right at the time Irene died. Can't risk an indoor gathering with no masks because of food, in flu season, so I made a substitute.

I let the hostess know I would dedicate one group of flowers to her sister, the other to mine. She's very happy about this. My front door, where Diane's flowers will be, is in sight of the house a third sister lived in, another close friend who allowed me to help when she was dying at home. There's a history. 

Then I planted the other group on the patio where I'll see them from the sofa.

Front door group 

Ground turned ready at the front door 
Here's the deck out back 


On left, seen between the houseplants 
On left next to the lavender plant the front door group. I sent this picture to Diane's sister.

After this I retired to the sofa for a cup of tea,a paneer cookie, and a little cry.


Just two small areas but in January they'll start sending up the first flowers of the year.

Happy day everyone, plant, and live,  in hope, 



19 comments:

  1. That soup recipe looked so good in just the photos, And I can only imagine how good it tasted. Yes, some crusty bread would be perfect, so it’s on my to do with soup next week as there are some assorted veggies to use in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never think to use canned beans except in chili. Why is that? I shall have to ponder this and once again, be inspired by you. Thank you.
    I know it must have been an emotional experience to set those little bulbs of hope and love into the ground with thoughts of those you've lost. Will today be a resting day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today's knitting group. That's restorative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you grate a ripe tomato? All I imagine is a mushy mess. Definitely a soup you make to enjoy the process.

    Lovely little memorials that will come back year after year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice that your snowdrops can serve as a double memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bulb memorials are such a lovely idea, and I can see that they would be very therapeutic with the nurturing, watching, and finally enjoyment to be repeated yearly. I am taken with all the symbolism of the bulb memorials and the comfort it imparts.
    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made a wise decision and a good substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We should be fortunate to have a friend like you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your memorials are loving gestures.

    The stew looks good and quite healthy. Enjoy your knitting group.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending a hug across the miles, Boud!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Lovely way to remember loved ones. They will bring you bittersweet joy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You confused me yesterday with your words Spain on a Fork so I'm glad you explained.

    Snowdrops will be a wonderful memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes I can see that if you're not a mind reader that phrase would have mystified you. I get in trouble in rl that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful memorial - first flowers of a new year of seasons. Blessings on them and on you for planting them with love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now have to hope the miserable squirrels don't dig up the bulbs...I don't know if they snack on those but they sure do like tulips. Lovely that you dedicated some of the planting to your friend's sister.
    Must admit that the combination of almond and garlic has me intrigued. The soup sure looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I inserted qtips soaked in peppermint essentially oil to deter squirrels. So far it's working.

      The friend's sister was also my friend. All three sisters were. Now only one remains.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!