Monday, October 10, 2022

Cooking extravaganza

Yesterday, to use the time of my sister's Celebration of Life far away, and the part I'd written, see yesterday's post, I decided on an afternoon of cooking prep. Displacement activity.


I don't like mashing the bananas for banana bread, but you can do it ahead and freeze it.And I liked the quick quiche enough to actually buy bell peppers to do it again.Also granny Smith apples, plenty for prepping filling for future crumbles. 

This is how I eat well, when the prep is already done when I decide to cook. 








Some of the  quiche ended up as yesterday's supper.

And the bananas and apples, the latter macerated and completely ready for filling s couple of crumbles, are all in the freezer until called on.


Full disclosure, the resulting debris in the sink


I had already made leek, potato and parsley soup, and I'll do this again, really happy combo, the parsley lifting it up to very good.



All the trimmings from food prep go into the stock bag in the freezer ready to make stock next time.  I feel so smug!

Meanwhile I read this hilarious mystery, another one set in a retirement community, the kind which keeps on surprising


And I'm proceeding with the two socks-in-one project


The different color yarns are scrap yarn setting up the ability to insert a heel in the lower one, sock one, then a separation point, and then the top of the picture is the start of sock two. This will end in a toe, after which I separate the two socks, insert heels, and a cuff for one, toe for the other.

I've changed her pattern a bit because I think it's more complicated than it need be, but basically I'm following the idea. I will do shortrow heels, more comfortable than the bind off design she likes. I'll do the toes as in the pattern though.

I don't recommend this idea for beginners. You need experience in knitting socks in order to fathom how this will work. It's interesting to try though.

Having seen off a couple of bags of Handsome Son's stuff via Freecycle, I'm off this morning to pick up a freecycled toaster oven to replace my old one which is nearly defunct. 

And there's a possibility I will be receiving an old Kindle Paperwhite today, all being well, locally. All being well.

Here's some women's art to be going on with

Happy day everyone, cook on, and if you're not the household cook, enjoy being served.

Pray for the people in Ukraine suffering the revenge today for the destruction of the Crimea-Russia bridge on Putin's birthday.



19 comments:

  1. You did so much prep work! Yes, you deserve to feel smug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking is a good way to work through other things so you did well. The soup certainly looks good!
    Interesting to take note of the bridge being destroyed on P's birthday - somehow fitting. But you're right in wondering what the repurcussions will now be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderfully creative day you had in your kitchen. An inspiration! And, yes, I will think of the people of Ukraine as I do most days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those Richard Osman books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a productive day! A perfect way to occupy your mind. Your sock project looks complicated, out of my league.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "You need experience in knitting socks in order to fathom how this will work." I should say so! Unfathomable to me, but I'm happy to follow along as this progresses.

    It is so nice to have the freezer full of prepped food. Peach-blueberry crumble (duly macerated) in the oven today. Peaches from a neighbor's tree and blueberries from the freezer.

    Chris from Boise

    PS The Mousecapade at our house has devolved into a Great Winnowing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have some squash waiting to be used. I will try and get round to making soup tomorrow. It's soup weather. Leek and potato is one of my favourites. I'm not a big parsley fan though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knitting two socks at once is as mysterious a process to me as building the Egyptian pyramids would be.
    Now- the kitchen? Oh yes. There I would be at home. I just simmered half a store-bought roasted chicken for hours and took the meat off the bones. That will be tomorrow's soup.
    I see that you buy the same kind of leftover and storage containers that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought of mashing bananas and freezing them. Do you treat them in any way or just mash and freeze?
    Richard Osman is a very clever and funny man. Have you watched Pointless? It's a british quiz show which he co-hosts.
    I am nearly at the end of my first sock. Two at a time is but a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just mash and freeze, easy. Good luck with your sock. The first is an achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were so productive. You have inspired me to look at how I can freeze things to ensure I waste nothing. I will do the apples this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marie and Sparkling, I freeze practically anything other than lettuce!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a busy time in the kitchen and the results looked delicious. Soup was made here twice last week, but consumed rather than freezing. The Osman book was a good one and he has a new one out, #3 in the series.

    By the way, I just read that you will be the recipient of an old Kinder Paperwhite, so does this mean you have no need for my husband’s older Kindle, not a Paperwhite? If so, good for you, and just let me know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I might be receiving the Kindle, but don't know yet. If it happens, I'll let you know right away. Should be in the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That’s fine Liz as my husband’s older Kindle is not a Paperwhite , it would need a charging cable and wall charger, which you might already have from your previous one. Just update us by email or in a comment. If you have the chance to get the KP version, go for it as my own is that version and it is great for reading in bed.

    Hope all works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Eating well has to be part of the recipe for your interesting and interested lifestyle. Just curious, why is mashing banana such a drag? F loves the women's art piece.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mashing bananas hurts my hand, so I don't like doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. To explain: if I mash ahead of time, I can mix banana bread batter without a hurting hand, so that feels better. Something about the texture of banana, no matter what I use to mash with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!