Saturday, October 8, 2022

The rest of the story

 The Case of the Mistaken Deck Billing has been resolved happily. After an exchange of emails, the manager  asked if my contractor could attest to having done the work on the deck.  

It occurred to me that I could send pictures from the blog of the work in progress. I'd been keeping contractor Michael informed because I was talking about him and I'm a believer in Nothing About Us Without Us.

So to save contractor Michael from being imposed on further, I sent this to the HOA


Proving that the deck was never an obstacle to the fencing, and that the small work required was done before they arrived, pictures dated. 

And promptly got a response thanking me and agreeing to correct the record. So there was an unexpected bonus to blogging. 

I felt like a character from a TV detective series -- "perhaps THIS will refresh your memory!" -- flourishing in court the proof which will make the bad guy confess, then, like Perry Mason, all the lawyer's team adjourn to a Chinese restaurant.

Anyway it's settled and Michael didn't see the texts and emails until it was resolved, so he read it all with some amusement. I wonder how many other mistakes the fencing company made in their billing, they not being so good at the paperwork back at HQ.

I think I might consider this as a retirement income -- claim to have done work I didn't, bill for it, and force the victim, I mean client, to prove a negative. Not many people will have the receipts as I did. This could work ;)

And in other important news,  my vote has now been cast, in the dropbox outside the town hall. 


The building you see is the Police department, and the dropbox, you can just see the top of it, is in a 24/7 camera surveilled area, security guaranteed. It's emptied daily by officials from the Board of Elections. So I'll soon be able to track that it's been received.

Meanwhile reading has been happening, and this is very entertaining, beachy but still fun to read and very well researched. It's the next part of the lives of Emmy and Bunty, now crusading journo and sidekick


And this is the upcoming weekend treat


Mma Ramotswe rides again.
.
The dental visit went well on Thursday,  hygienist Courtney giving me an excited account of her new pregnancy, she must just have found out, her Lasik surgery, her husband's color blindness, her hopes that the baby would escape it, a very entertaining background to the cleaning process. 

Then while the dentist followed up with the permanent crown installation, I got his concerns about water in the western states, and how dams with reduced flow are generating less power and what a contrast with Florida with more water than they can handle.  Quite an educational time, I thought as I left with my $150 toothbrush.

Happy day everyone, today I'm sorting two boxes of stuff winnowed by handsome Son, for Freecycling or thriftie donation. He's so pressed for time that it's a great help to his decluttering now that it occurred to me to do the disposal for him.  And he certainly needs to declutter.

Hoping all our lives are decluttered, educated, and the good guys win the billing, and other, wars. And Happy Thanksgiving, Canadian friends!






22 comments:

  1. Great result on the construction end of things thanks to your blogging record. We always keep receipts but are not so great clearing out folders years later.

    Our dental fees have increased so much recently. Hubby had a filling which was over $250. His mouth is a gold mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from a fellow blogger who just read your comment on AC’s blog and being curious decided to check out your blog and learned you reside in my home state😀I grew up in Union County, NJ (Plainfield) and my husband grew up in Orange, NJ. We currently reside in NH, but visit NJ regularly as we have family and friends there. Our most recent visit was a couple of weeks ago. As a way of introduction we are Dorothy & Patrick, but use aliases of Beatrice & Grenville on the blog (there is a story behind those names).

    This weekend I will be catching up on blog reading and hope to read some of previous posts as it’s my way of getting to know a fellow blogger. Please feel free to do the same and read some of my posts. If it OK with you, I would like to add a link to your blog on my sidebar as it is how I remember to read blogs.

    I read a few of your previous posts and left a comment on the one about the dead Kindle (RIP) also that a fellow blogger offered her older one if it would charge up. We also have an older one which needs to be checked for a charge and if Sandra’s did not work out, please contact me as if ours does charge, we will give it to you. Reading is such an enjoyable past time. I am also a fan of Alexander McCall Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much. I am still in the market for a Kindle reader, not a tablet, just the dedicated reader with the e-printing. If yours works, that would be wonderful. You can reach me at lxxadams at yahoo dotcom. Thank you!

    And yes, I'll check out your blog too. Must support a fellow Jerseygirl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, I think I've provided a couple of boat payments to my dentist recently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must get the book about Mma Rmotswe, I love her so much, and she will cheer me up during the coming weeks. Thank you for mentioning her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear the fence charge was resolved. My dental hygienist doesn't really chat while she works. Just as well I suppose because I think she supports TFG.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Blogging saves the day! Is there nothing it can't do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so good to read a billing issue worked out well.
    Blog archives are treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope this Kindle is just a reader. I felt bad about mine not working for you. Also, what a relief the fence charge was so easily dispatched!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandra, no need to feel bad. Amazon's labeling is at fault, not distinguishing between reader and tablet, do people have to guess what they're doing!

    And yes, my upcoming retirement enterprise is already a neighborhood joke!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello again Boud, I read your reply comment and responded to your email address, so hopefully you received my email to you. You said you tried to send a message to my blog email and that it didn't work for you. That was puzzling to me as I checked by clicking on it and I did get to my email, but in case you want to retry, it's: onleyimagesatgmail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did get your email and responded to it. Thank you for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blogger is doing weird stuff. It just sent me six copies of Beatrice's comment! As fast as I deleted the extras, they were duplicated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job on the bill
    At least you had a lovely educational time at the dentist.
    Decluttering. I did it a few years ago and have mostly kept it that way.
    I don’t include the craft room. They’re essentials for emergencies lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my son's decluttering. I do my own continually!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That seems like a bargain for that dental work, so it must be just part of the whole procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was the hygienist's fee. Actually, I paid more than that, but the $150 is the number in the joke.I had already paid the $1100 for the crown in the first visit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wonder if the old $150 toothbrush joke is a US joke? I thought it was clearly a joke number, but it's evidently been read more literally in here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We might not be making funny or sensible cooments but we are still reading, smiling, veing inspired (or reminded). We might have just decluttered to move but feel sure more will be required when we start unpacking! Possessions - the bane of the modern life. xxx Mr T and F

    ReplyDelete
  20. And now I have Paul Harvey's voice in my head. Yay for having proof of the work being done and the now apparent willingness to do away with the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I shall have to look out for both those books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!