Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Comfort food, puzzling triumph, fog

Yesterday was all about rain, all day, with intervals of heavier rain.

So lunch was green powerhouse, spinach and leek, soup, with cheddar stuffed pita bread toasted to crisp.


I bless the day that nice lady upped her toasting game and freecycled her toaster oven to me.  It's in daily use.

I thought I'd give a bit more information about the  Works of Mercy, the spiritual ones being a bit above my pay grade,   the corporal ones more my speed 


And, Ruffles and Flourishes, name of the tune that usually precedes the arrival of the President , but here it's for the Parrot Puzzle 


Now complete in her jungle getaway, look at that bamboo. The last corner took an age to complete. I tried many permutations until all the pieces fitted, after a long time spent putting right up to the last piece which just lt wouldn't sit.  All parts interchangeable, colors all dark, arghghgh.

It was a fiendish puzzle, with many parts with wavy edges instead of locking bits, and pieces with straight edges which were not edge pieces. That's why the frame wasn't possible ahead of time. I think I'll avoid Schmidt puzzles, they don't play fair!

But now I can donate it, knowing it's complete. Gladly. And while I was wondering about the world of puzzling I found this


I have refrained from giving my bitter answers, leaving that to you, dear blogistas. 

Last evening we had exciting street fireworks for Diwali. I neglected to celebrate in here yesterday, but did message Indian friends. 

When handsome Son comes over, I'll light the tealights Girija gave me, for a belated observance with our tea and little something.  It's a lovely feast, of the triumph of light over dark, good over evil. We certainly need that right now more than ever.

Beautiful morning, warm and foggy, like being inside a Japanese woodblock print.



Happy day everyone, enjoy your own version of fireworks, celebrate the light, avoid mean puzzles!


Photo AC 

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing the Fiendish Parrot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was close, whether it was her or me getting finished.

      Delete
  2. I would have given up on that puzzle before I had all the pieces turned to right side up. But you did it! Hurray! I know that gives you a feeling of satisfaction, at the very least.
    Happy Diwali!
    Now let's all get out there and bury some dead! (I have a sick sense of humor, you know.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of inappropriate laughter. I've done a bit of it lately.

      Delete
  3. Glad you finished the puzzle. I like Ravenwood puzzles. Or maybe it's Ravensburger. I forget, they both make puzzles.

    I've been thinking about making soup lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for further explanation of the Works of Mercy. Those are difficult but important charges. As an unchurched person, it's helpful to see what various religions ask of their followers. Diwali too. Light over darkness - yes!

    Chris from Boise

    PS I roared at your comment to Steve Reed about the memorial planting and inappropriate laughter a few days ago. So many emotions rumbling around - let them bubble up as hysterical laughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll see that the various works of mercy are just basic kindness, really. Done with respect.

      Do you remember the Chuckles the Clown episode of Mary Tyler Moore, on the subject of totally inappropriate embarrassing laughter?

      Delete
  5. I don’t have the patience for doing large puzzles. I’d be very proud after finishing that one.
    It’s also raining here again
    It makes me feel like summer will never arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain here is pretty much seasonal right now. Not in a hurry for winter.

      Delete
  6. I love jigsaw puzzles. So do cats. Hence a lack of them here at the moment. And an mild addiction to sock knitting which means all other crafts are sitting patiently waiting their turn again.
    Inappropriate laughter unites those of like minds and makes the world a brighter place.
    Happy Diwali.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a long table in the atrium with two or three puzzles going at once. I'm certifiably rotten at puzzles, but stopped to kibitz. I couldn't believe to master puzzlers were working on a crooked puzzle. I counted the pieces up each side. One side had one more piece. I pointed that out. When I returned, it was squared up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for conquering the parrot puzzle! I'm glad all the pieces were there after all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you finally completed the Fiendish Parrot puzzle - I'm sure there was a loud hurrah and a celebratory cuppa after that one. Resident Chef was doing them for awhile but last winter he didn't show any interest and I suspect that's because his sciatic issue wasn't comfortable sitting for any length of time. He subscribes to the 'Just One More Piece' club so spends far too long at it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!