Friday, October 28, 2022

Farm and library day, and the divine Karolina

Yesterday was a beautiful  day, perfect for visiting the local farm


for Gala apples and one (!) Asian pear, one of my favorite fruits, but expensive this year.

It's pumpkin and hayride time, too with Halloween setups in the field and waaay over, the pumpkins you can pick for yourself. 



Dogs are permitted this time of year, but there weren't any when I was there. They love the smells and company in the pumpkin fields.

Then on to the library to offer the parrot puzzle for their new puzzle collection. They had to confer by phone with the ptb to see if they were accepting donations, needed to know who I was etc, then when I gave ny name, all was fine.  I guess they needed to know there was nothing weird in the box.

Then I borrowed my next puzzle from their collection, updating my card in the process. I rarely borrow from my own library, more about program and art there rather than the collection. I borrow from my other, knitting group, library.  Yes, I'm totally spoiled.



As you see, all buildings, and a frame. This one's full of cheerful colors.

And I followed through on the idle thought about using the apple crumble filling in the freezer for cake instead. Whoa, was that good. 

The flavored fruit, with ginger and cranberries, worked fine. Thanks to Marie for mentioning apple cake and setting me off here.



There's just about enough cake to hold the fruit together. Breakfast was a warmed slice, very good. 

I'm definitely on to variations on banana bread, since I just replace the banana component with other interesting fruit or pumpkin. I expect I'll think of more. If you have any suggestions, please make them. I'm up for it.

I finished the first sock and I'll be picking up the cuff of the second at my knitting group this afternoon .  Then to paw through the box of yarn for choices for the next pair.

But I think on the sewing front I'll start on the fleecy pants, soon they'll be useful. I'll probably use Sonia Phillips' pattern from The Act of Sewing, unless I just model it on an existing pair which I might. 

I recommend her book all the time, such a great spirit of pleasing yourself, making and wearing what you want. Whatever you do someone will disapprove, so don't try to please them. Please you!

Have you seen the brilliant Katerina Zebrowska's latest YouTube video, men complaining about women's fashion for five hundred years?




At the end of the video, she tosses the phone..

Happy day everyone, please yourself!


Photo AC, who probably never thought how many meanings I would attach to it.



18 comments:

  1. The first banana bread recipe I ever used had blueberries in it. I still have the recipe and it's still good but my favorite one now, I think, is a cinnamon crunch one. That, too, would do beautifully with apples. And now I'm thinking of a sweet potato bread with a cinnamon crunch topping? Why not? Sweet potatoes and pumpkin are good substitutes for each other in baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these sweet breads sound wonderful but I may have mentioned I don't need the sugar and my husband doesn't need the calories cause if it's here, it will get eaten.

    The new puzzle should be easy. Just work on the color blocks...all the red, all the blue, all the yellow, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice this puzzle is a better quality to the pieces and the cutting, sturdier, nicer to handle.

      Delete
  3. It's fortunate to have a farm like that so near. I love sweet breads but I also don't need the sugar or the calories! Enjoy that puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At my rate of one piece per day, the rest shared with handsome son and friends, not too much danger of overload! I love the farm, a family affair since 1915.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if your Asian pear is our nashie. We were gifted a nashie tree that is fairly mature. It was being thrown out! I know madness. But the person on the job site asked if he could take it, saying he knew a good home for it. We are hoping for a crop in the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to check on that. It's a wonderful fruit, crisp, crunchy and juicy all at once. To have your own crop would be great. Here they're grown locally on the farm,but so expensive.

      Delete
  6. Now you have me thinking about a pumpkin bread, because the most recent have been banana, apple, blueberry and zucchini. But, first, it will be an apple pie this weekend to use up the purchase before our most recent tote bag of our favorites, like yours too, gala apples. We like ours with a bit of peanut butter on the side. The new puzzle looks like it will be colorful fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like gala, Fuji and envy, all bred from the same original apples, so not surprising. Envy is hard to find, but I was able to get it from Misfits.

      Delete
  7. Often its women who criticise what other women wear, sadly.
    Your cake looks delicious and I am envious of your farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bread, it's bread! Very nutritious, whole wheat flour, organic apples and cranberries and ginger.. that's my story anyway.

      Delete
  8. I bought Gala apples today but they don’t look as good as yours. Your apple cake looks good. My husband is enjoying a piece of ours every day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You picked an interesting puzzle -- no boring bits to do, all colour and images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors are lovely, very clear and cheerful to handle.

      Delete
  10. Talking about apples, have you tried either Ambrosia or Honeycrisps? We like a crisp apple and those are our favourites. Sadly they only seem to be available in the fall and early winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're everywhere. I hate all apples with crisp in the name, so tart they make my face hurt. I guess I could cook with them but I really stay away from them usually. I'm more in the gala side of the apple spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am always pleasantly surprised to see the photo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!