Tuesday, October 18, 2022

All good ingredients soup

Yesterday I remembered I had mushrooms in the freezer, and since these days I'm more interested in making vegetables into soup than into fancy dishes, I rummaged around.

Came up with a cream of mushroom, spinach, tofu soup



I added in a chicken bone for flavor,  and used the whey you remember from making the paneer. It has a nice tart flavor.

It all went together nicely, harmony of flavors, here with a sprig of Italian basil 


The phrase harmony of flavors reminds me of a near miss with social disaster. 

I used to direct adult programming for a women's organization,  and, living where I do, what with universities and other attractions, there was a constant supply of teaching talent, many people from other cultures and languages trying to get established locally. Our organization was an obvious welcoming starting point.

One charming Chinese lady came in to see me about teaching a course in Chinese cooking based on her book, which, we were struggling a bit with each other's version of English, I thought was Harmony of Flowers. 

All set for the brochure printer, writing up my blurb for the big organization brochure to go out at that time to fifty thousand households. 

Then I thought I'd check the local bookstore to get her name exactly right from the book jacket. And found it wasn't Flowers, it was Flavors. Phew. 

There would have been some serious shouting and blaming if I'd got it wrong, she being very revered in her community, and not to be insulted by me!  She was lovely, but her supporters would not have been kind.

Her course instantly filled, with a waiting list, always a mark of success in the world of adult program.

Happy day everyone, check your facts!



11 comments:

  1. Mushrooms are somewhat of a dirty word in our household at the moment. Resident Chef decided to make a Japanese soup and use some of the dried shiitake mushrooms he was given for his birthday. He hated even the smell of it cooking and flatly refused to eat any of it. I, on the other hand, didn't mind it and will eat the rest of it although it's going to take me forever because it made a huge pot full. Normally he loves mushrooms but for some reason he can't wrap his head (or mouth!) around these dried ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a good memory but obviously it's loaded up with all sorts of trivia none of which caused me to remember I'd already left a comment on a previous post about Resident Chef's aversion to his mushroom soup. Please excuse my repetitive comments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Boud, that was an escape at the last minute! Though "Flower" sounds nice too - but most people are quite touchy when their written word is fiddled with.
    Sometimes one is quite innocent: when I type "Boud" my Macbook turns it instantly to "Boyd" - to be on the look-out on WhatsApp is also very much recommended :-)
    A warm soup in autumn or winter is oh so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your soup looks amazing and honestly- I think "Harmony of Flowers" is a beautiful title for any book but yes, I can see that the word "Flavors" would fit better in a cookbook.
    I made risotto last night with spinach and sun dried tomatoes. So very good. Leftovers today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our first real chilly day, only 56˚ at 9 AM, down to 40˚ tonight! So soup will definitely be on the menu here in the coming days. Good thing you checked for proper spelling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We think alike when it comes to soup making as using up assorted veggies is usually how my soups are made as well. The combinations you choose are admittedly different then the ingredients in my fridge, but whatever works and prevents veggies going to waste is very good. That was a good catch on flowers vs. flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good editing
    Learning to cook Asian food is fun. In high school I was keen on perfecting a fried rice recipe. Alas, restaurants always taste better. I think I missed on the spices, the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back in my academic days, I remember attending a seminar on mutations given by a very famous geneticist. Once type he referred to many times was (to my ears) called a "friendship" mutation, which sound particularly dire! Forty five minutes later, near the end of his talk, I realized he was talking about "frameshift" mutations, which are the DNA equivalent of unintentionally dropping or adding a stitch in knitting - totally ruining the pattern. Harmony of Flowers would be a great name for a cookbook, just like friendship mutations would be a way to describe errant changes to a gene.

    Your soup looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a similar uni experience with a German professor of art history talking about art which survives and what part chance plays.

    She did not agree in the -- here's where I got all confused -- in the theory of the survival of (I heard) the fetus. I thought she'd veered off into a discussion of reproduction. Turns out she was saying fittest. Oh. Right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would of been funny though, people turning up to do flower arrangements and ending up cooking lol
    Yes check and double check

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!