Monday, October 17, 2022

Yellow rumps and appliques

 Yesterday's walk was another golden time


Color coming out, and I noticed a flock of tiny flittering birds busy in the trees and grass, probably feeding om insects after the rain.

Then I was back home, setting up a bit of decoration for a couple of plain t-shirts in need of help to avoid looking like underwear. 

I decided on appliqueing motifs from fabric





Then at this point there was a loud bang on the patio door behind me, and I turned to see this little guy, one of the flock I'd seen earlier


I studied him through the glass for a minute to see if he'd survived thee collision, and noticed he was blinking and panting. 

Then I went outside to see if I could help.




I realized he was a yellow rump warbler, and though we do have some that stay year round, this is more likely to be a migratory bird. This is the height of warbler migration on the Eastern Flyway where I live. Hence the feeding, loading up for a long flight over water.

He has wing damage, not a good sign before a long flight.  I was sure he couldn't get liftoff from the deck. So I talked quietly to him while I got close, found a garden stick to offer as a perch


He was able to perch pretty well after an initial fumble, so far so good. Then I carried him to the Japanese maple tree and he was able to hop onto a branch where he rested.



He was safe there, and could recover. An hour later I checked again and he'd gone. So let's hope he makes it. His flock is still around so I hope he can keep up. 

After that adventure for both of us, I did do two shirts


Though it was less dramatic than the warbler episode 

Happy day everyone, keep on your journey safely!



16 comments:

  1. Birds are often stunned when they run into glass like that, but after a period of recovery they fly away and seem just fine. Here's hoping that's what happened in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sweet little bird! I'm so glad it was okay after that big thump. You were kind to help it recover in safety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yellow-rumped warbler is aptly named! Glad you were able to help him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may see that lucky warbler down here in a couple of weeks!
    Love your appliques. They have a sort of 3D look against the white fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good you could help the little bird. Nice job on the shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope he makes it. He has a long way to fly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I'm sitting here snickering because I first read the blog title referring to 'yellow rumps' and THEN I saw the fabrics you had laid out and there's a yellow one in the pile, so my mind morphed into our Boud making more underwear using the yellow fabric. Oh. (glad you were able to help the wee birdie).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, the poor bird. You are a hero!
    Maybe he can find a flock wintering over someplace so he doesn't have to fly far. A guy told me some robins winter over near a building with a heat source.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a bird whisperer, Boud. I saw some of those warblers here this week. There were several in the woods along the boardwalk, fattening up before they headed across the Strait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marie, I can't tell you how privileged I felt that he let me help him without panicking. I've handled a lot of tame birds, but not wild ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice job, Boud! Keeping calm and quiet as you assisted undoubtedly helped the little guy or gal stay calm and quiet. It is such a privilege, as you say, to be so close to a wild bird.

    From my background in wildlife rehab (another story for another day): if a bird is stunned and unable to perch after a window strike, one can set it in a paper grocery bag and clothespin the top shut. Dark and quiet is the best remedy. Open the top after an hour or so, and if the now-rested bird can fly up and out of the bag it's going to be fine. If it can't, best to find a licensed rehabilitator (often known to your local fish and wildlife/conservation department).

    We have a window that used to have a lot of bird strikes. The birds could see through two windows on opposite sides of the room, and assumed they could fly right through. We hung colored strings spaced a couple of inches apart on the problem window, and haven't had a strike since. We also don't even notice the strings when we look out.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good tips on diagnosing the bird's chances. I was encouraged when I saw the blinking and panting. I have tried all kinds of methods to discourage bird strikes. Up to now nothing has really helped. I think seeing my indoor plants including a tree, close to the glass overrides the effect. Curtains, strings, stickers etc.

    I know the local wildlife rehab station. I wanted to work as a wildlife volunteer and was set to be trained, when they insisted there absolutely must first be a tetanus shot, which I can't have, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We get pigeons striking our windows with sad regularity. We have many other varieties in the area but only the pigeons hit the windows. Dumb birds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your fabric colours flowed from your autumn colours photo. Good thing you got the little warbler to safety before any local felines appeared on the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tigger, yes that was one of my concerns, to get him concealed and up higher. And it's stressful for birds to be on the ground, so I figured he'd recover faster up higher.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!