Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Textiles and Tea, separated socks

Yesterday's Textiles and Tea featured a master of katazome dyeing, John Marshall, and sent me down a rabbit hole of Japanese dyeing techniques. Quite a departure for the weavers watching him.

It's a process where rice flour paste is used as a resist, and natural dyes create the design. He studied it for years in Japan and his work is stunning.

The vivid colors are natural dyes, but not all from plants. He also uses cochineal, from beetles, and mineral colors, as well as plant dye from indigo.







 He wrote a book on indigo dyeing, and I found a YouTube video where he gives a step by step of the process. 

I have a katazome piece made in Japan


Much simpler design than his, but you see the idea.

And of course I had to check on other videos about stencil cutting, so long since I did any.

Then it was back to earth and separating socks.

Here's the completed enclosed tube


And here's the separated pair, ready for me to pick up stitches and knit the ribbed cuffs


Then I'll send off the completed pairs and think about what's next.

Handsome Son and I had a great visit, with Diwali tealights lit, pot of tea and he had the last paneer cookie, plus pumpkin walnut bread and pumpkin cranberry muffins, and declared it all good. I forgot pictures in the business of enjoying it all.

He also took boxes to continue his decluttering bit by bit. Now that I've undertaken to fo the disposal by Freecycle and thriftie, it's moving along a bit better. 

Happy day everyone! Try a new thing, cut stencils, make something. Or just read. Or sit. Whatever you need to do. Just enjoy what you can in worrying times. We may as well.



 


20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was from the third sister I was talking about. The remaining sister is the one I talked with about the sniowdrops. This is starting to sound like Carly Simon's sisters..

      Delete
  2. How does he get that royal purple? So beautiful.
    Glad you got to have some time with your son. I'm sure he enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely afternoon. I think that purple may be indigo mixed with possibly cochineal. Just guessing, but blue and red can give purple.

      Delete
  3. I've seen pieces of that particular art form but didn't know what it was called.
    Your socks are looking great so far. I hate picking up stitches but finally hit upon using a crochet hook and it seems to work better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just slipping live stitches onto the needles. I too hate the other kind.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of katazome dyeing before, but WOW! is it gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect you've seen it but not known the name, if you've seen high end kimonos and wall hangings.

      Delete
  5. wow to that katazome dyeing! It is all beautiful, but the crane is especially stunning. Your socks are sure to warm someone's feet and heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On that subject there was an interesting discussion about cultural appropriation and whether he's doing it. He made it good case for how he isn't, of course!

      Delete
  6. I almost always learn something new from reading your posts. This one was very interesting about a subject of which I knew nothing at all. I can see how all your vaired interests must make your life interesting and stimulating. People often give up on things as they age, you just seem to take on more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like having the time now to follow up on things that interest me, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. His work is amazing. Although less complex, your piece is quite beautiful. My making something will be food. I'll also sit. And I'll read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a picnic at the beach today. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many beautiful crafts and talented people.
    You must knit as fast as a machine you finished that part quickly

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the simplicity of Japanese art, even when it's complicated if that makes sense.
    What technique do you use for your sock heels, if I may ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like short row toes and heels. Comfortable, no seams or grafting.

      Delete
  12. I like your continuous method. So Practical!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!